Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good close up photo of the bracket that's welded to the rear of the gas tank? I'm finally sick of smelling fuel all the time and am taking mine in to get it welded. Someone did a super sloppy JB weld job on it in the past and its all gobbed up on there. I'm trying to chip all that junk away and determine which parts of the bracket actually contact the tank so I can give the welder some direction.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Sure!

Maybe it would be easier to Caswell coat the inside?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the photos. Ya I thought about coating it, but I have easy access to a good welder (and free). I might end up the coating route though still. Whatever it takes to stop gas seeping down the back of my motor and making me smell like a gas can where ever I go!

·
Mr Leakered
8,865 Posts
Sure!

Maybe it would be easier to Caswell coat the inside?
Did you just pick that up new from the showroom? Yikes!

And, I ain't talking about that sticker. =P

:think: :crazy:

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
You can clearly see some dirt on top of the shock rocker mount!

·
Mr Leakered
8,865 Posts
Ha! I definitely saw that and blamed it on bad dealer prep.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hopefully I'm not too late, but I would advise against having the tank welded. I had a leaking tank at the same location and had it welded up. My tank warped because of the heat and the process to get it back into shape was less than a total success. Although the tank no longer leaks, the tank no longer sits correctly on the frame. I will be be getting a new (used) tank and having that replaced over the winter.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's too late, should be getting it back as soon as tomorrow, we'll see if that was a bad idea. I'll report back when it's in hand and on the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The reason the tanks split & then leak is because the tank is unsupported at the rear & all the weight & vibrations are transmitted into it , they also rust through in this area as well !
A friend who runs a precision welding/fabricating company has successfully repaired several ducati tanks by tig welding them .
A suggestion is to put some foam pipe lagging round the frame tubes under the rear of the tank to support it .

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I had high hopes with the weld. Turned out great, no tank deformation, the guy even painted up the welds. But I still have some small seepage coming out the rear seam of the tank. Nothing terrible, but after a month or 2 I'm sick of having the side of the engine all covered in gunk from road grime sticking to the film from the seep. Guess it's time to pony up go Caswell coat the thing!

Anyone have any experience with Ocean Cycles in Virginia Beach (http://www.oceanacycles.com)? They are recommended on Caswell's website for coating and are only a few minutes down the road. I'll probably do it myself, but hey, never hurts to check.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
VA:

I just did my Son's 750ss tank with Caswell. Tons of prep, but it was worth it. No more leak. and the entire inside looks like it's epoxy coated. Unreal! I suggest doing it Ur self.

Like I almost always say, "I can trust my hands" to most tasks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts