Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Gas stain on tank

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RotoRooterGuy 
#1 ·
My dealer spilled some gas on the outside of my tank. By the time I realized I'm guessing it had been on there for a day or two. Cleaned bike but can still see some gas streaks on tank.

Did the gas eat into the clear coat and that's why after the wash I still see a couple streaks? I assume a wax with a very mild abrasive should remove, no? Any other suggestions or ideas?

#3 ·
bokolondon said:
My dealer spilled some gas on the outside of my tank. By the time I realized I'm guessing it had been on there for a day or two. Cleaned bike but can still see some gas streaks on tank.

Did the gas eat into the clear coat and that's why after the wash I still see a couple streaks? I assume a wax with a very mild abrasive should remove, no? Any other suggestions or ideas?
On newer paints, the paint and clear coat is softer than that of the old days, due to environmental concerns. It's a lot easier to damage the clear coat and cause damage [stains] to the paint.

I'd try Meguiar's Heavy Cut first, then make sure you seal the paint back up with a good sealant/protectorant.

http://www.autogeek.net/meg4heavclea.html

#4 ·
NOOOOOO, don't use Meguiars heavy cut on nothing...that stuff is just what it says it is...HEAVY CUT!!!

First try Meguiars "Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner step 1" It helps if you have a nice orbital polisher with a foam pad, but if not, alot of vigorous elbow grease works pretty good also. This should get it out and then just wax or polish over it with your favorite product. If this doesn't work, let me know. This is my absolute favorite Meguiars product.

#5 ·
galaxy said:
NOOOOOO, don't use Meguiars heavy cut on nothing...that stuff is just what it says it is...HEAVY CUT!!!

First try Meguiars "Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner step 1" It helps if you have a nice orbital polisher with a foam pad, but if not, alot of vigorous elbow grease works pretty good also. This should get it out and then just wax or polish over it with your favorite product. If this doesn't work, let me know. This is my absolute favorite Meguiars product.
"Don't use Meguiars on nothing" is saying to use it [double negative there:D ].

Heavy Cut is aggressive, but I assumed nothing has worked so far. But I would use your other recommendation first.

I would definitely not recommend him using any type of powered polisher. First, I think the area is too small to require a buffer/polisher, and second, powered polishers can get the newbie to such use of such devices into a lot of trouble, especially if using any type of rubbing compound or product with such properties.

For this small a project, gentle rubbing with a finger tip is a good start, to see if a product works. Then aggressive elbow grease should follow assuming the compound is not causing damage to the surface.

#6 ·
ALWAYS start with the most gentle abrasives first then go more aggressive.

Honnestly, Griots Garage makes a damn nice hand polish. Some people complain that the stuff is expensive, but having detailed for a living for a few years, I found that the stuff did the trick.

That and Einszett (http://www.1z-usa.com) kick ass

btw - using a wax will do NOTHING to get rid of the etching in the clear coat. It will only protect it...;). You use a polish or the like on scratched in the clear coat, and wax to put a layer of protection on the clear coat.

#7 ·
JDuc said:

Honestly, Griots Garage makes a damn nice hand polish. Some people complain that the stuff is expensive, but having detailed for a living for a few years, I found that the stuff did the trick.

That and Einszett (http://www.1z-usa.com) kick ass

btw - using a wax will do NOTHING to get rid of the etching in the clear coat. It will only protect it...;). You use a polish or the like on scratched in the clear coat, and wax to put a layer of protection on the clear coat.
Ditto on all of the above, albeit I do not know about the products recommended. Start with the gentle cleaners/compounds first.

Warning, don't over do it though, you could end up with one part of the bike that outshines the other parts of the tank.

#8 ·
JDuc said:
Could not have said it better!!!

Roto, as a pro detailer, when you say "compound" I automatically think of something with a cutting/rubbing action, which you should not need to remove some light etching on a brand new clear coat finish. Also, a nice small "orbital" buffer is not going to burn the paint even in the hands of a novice with the right product.

AND, if he ends up with one part of the bike that outshines the others...(not very likely BTW) it gives him something to work on!!

Yes, you were right about my double negative...Sorry..BUT, on this paint, he needs nothing that has the word "cut or cutting or compound" in the title.

#9 ·
useing brasso metal polish on paint is a safe cut polish for people with no cut polishing exp.finish with wax .

#10 ·
galaxy said:
Could not have said it better!!!

Roto, as a pro detailer, when you say "compound" I automatically think of something with a cutting/rubbing action, which you should not need to remove some light etching on a brand new clear coat finish. Also, a nice small "orbital" buffer is not going to burn the paint even in the hands of a novice with the right product.

AND, if he ends up with one part of the bike that outshines the others...(not very likely BTW) it gives him something to work on!!

Yes, you were right about my double negative...Sorry..BUT, on this paint, he needs nothing that has the word "cut or cutting or compound" in the title.
All good points. But I'm assuming the gas ate into his paint [newer paints and clear coats being softer than the old days].

Generally, I agree that any type of compound is dangerous in a newbie's hands, but his only alternative is to take it to a professional detailer who can work on it [in the end, that might be best].

Come to think of it, given the size of the task, it might be best for him to seek a professional's help, inasmuch as self-help may cause bigger problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.