Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
06 ST3s. I smell a small to moderate level of gasoline fumes from my filler when I ride or just sitting atop of bike in garage. I wonder if replacing the rubber ring around the filler flap/cap is possible. I don't see a Ducati part for it but has anyone tried to procure one elsewhere like McMaster?

After finding "Similar Threads," pressed the gas cap down to make sure was closed, no click so I have been closing it correctly. Hose overflow is connected inside/underneath fill hole. But, compared to tiger 1050, the ring rubber is hard & not soft/compliant. It's not the sliding spring loaded gasket, so it's not a sticking issue. I suspect poor seal b/c hardened gasket/rubber ring.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect the gasket since pushing downward on the cap results in about 1-2 mm of vertical play. I will try the silicone treatment.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
If your overflow tube has a small can in it, that’s a one way valve. Clean it and make sure it rattles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
geez, with all the smoke here in the sf bay area, it no longer is a noticeable garage smell. no outdoor activity, no riding, poor dog has even started chewing on furniture. cabin fever fido & i.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Before replacing anything, check that it is not leaking at the hinge at the back of the tank. Mine started as a very slow weep that only showed as a gasoline smell for the first few months. As it got worse, it finally started to drip onto the floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts