Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have many ??? about my new ride and what I do first is search this forum first as I did about gas mileage but when I did it came up empty :cool:
I'm surprised that there hasn't been any talk about the gas mileage..
Anyway my new 2008 Hyper 1100 has termi exhaust with the ecu and air filter kit installed before I picked up the bike so I can't compare to stock trim BUT my fuel light comes on at 75 miles and when I get gas around 85 miles on the trip I put around 2.70 gal. = 31.48 miles per gal..
I don't have a problem with low mileage but this range of ,start looking for gas after just riding 75 miles I'm not to happy about..
??1) what are most of you getting for mileage.?
??2)how many miles can you go with the fuel light on??
??3)what did you get for mileage before and after exhaust mod/ecu air filter etc.
??4) can the Termi set up be tweaked for gas mileage??
I love the way the bike runs but 75 miles to a tank is crazy, I know there is a Lg. tank aval.but to much $$ and no air box doesn't appeal to me either.
Thank you for your time and knowledge

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You didn't search hard enough. This has been discussed at least 5 times since I've been here.

As a matter of fact, it was discussed so much, that someone actually built a larger tank for the bike and produced it for us that wanted a longer range.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
ciao gary -

no worries on not finding previous threads on this topic ... here are my comments/questions for you:

i have the termi 2-1 system, airbox lid, bmc air filter and DP race cams with DP race cam ECU installed. typical mileage puts the low fuel light on @ about 90 miles, when riding mix of twisties and in town routes. freeway long trips usually have the low fuel light on @ 100 miles ... so not a big difference in fuel economy.

my questions to you are:
  1. did you have the TPS reset when you installed the DP ECU?
  2. did you have the dash flashed by your ducati dealership, to correct the error in mileage display (this was/is a factory recall issue)?

bottom line on range for the hyper 1100 with stock fuel tank is about 115 - 120 miles before the tank is on vapors.

ciao,
johnc

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ciao gary -

no worries on not finding previous threads on this topic ... here are my comments/questions for you:

i have the termi 2-1 system, airbox lid, bmc air filter and DP race cams with DP race cam ECU installed. typical mileage puts the low fuel light on @ about 90 miles, when riding mix of twisties and in town routes. freeway long trips usually have the low fuel light on @ 100 miles ... so not a big difference in fuel economy.

my questions to you are:
  1. did you have the TPS reset when you installed the DP ECU?
  2. did you have the dash flashed by your ducati dealership, to correct the error in mileage display (this was/is a factory recall issue)?

bottom line on range for the hyper 1100 with stock fuel tank is about 115 - 120 miles before the tank is on vapors.

ciao,
johnc
Hi,thanks for the reply.
It's my understanding I have a termi ECU and air filter...
I will be making a call tomorrow to the dealer to find out if they reset the TPS and if the flashed the error on mileage display .
But is it safe to say something is wrong??????????? (it does run sweet)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Gary,

I can tell you that I haven't really ever gotten much past 75-80 miles to a tank with approx. 2.7 gals to fill since new with Termi 2-1-2's installed. I did hower get as low as 35-40 miles last winter when I had (per the dealer) a bad barometric pressure switch. The bike was running excessively rich. Once the switch was replaced my mileage went back to 75-80 miles to the light. I was interested in the larger tank but like yourself I'm not crazy about removing the airbox and using every bit of space for fuel. I wish there was a 4.5 - 5 gallon option but there isn't.

Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Tom

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Hi,thanks for the reply.
It's my understanding I have a termi ECU and air filter...
I will be making a call tomorrow to the dealer to find out if they reset the TPS and if the flashed the error on mileage display .
But is it safe to say something is wrong??????????? (it does run sweet)
ciao again gary -

it is safe to ask the dealership to check the TPS, and re-set if it is not correct. also safe to see if the odometer has been re-flashed.

i believe the only other factory recall has been on the license plate support bracket, so you might as well check on that with the dealership as well.

ciao,
johnc

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Gary,

I can tell you that I haven't really ever gotten much past 75-80 miles to a tank with approx. 2.7 gals to fill since new with Termi 2-1-2's installed. I did hower get as low as 35-40 miles last winter when I had (per the dealer) a bad barometric pressure switch. The bike was running excessively rich. Once the switch was replaced my mileage went back to 75-80 miles to the light. I was interested in the larger tank but like yourself I'm not crazy about removing the airbox and using every bit of space for fuel. I wish there was a 4.5 - 5 gallon option but there isn't.

Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Tom
Hi, do you know if we (termi set up ) can be mapped with diff. fuel maps??

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
One recall for teh 2008 Hyper
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

Recalls - Search Results
1 Record(s) Displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Date : November 17, 2009 at 04:49 AM
Search Type : VEHICLE
Make: DUCATI
Model or Model No.: HYPERMOTARD
Model Year: 2008

Make: DUCATI Model: HYPERMOTARD
Manufacturer: DUCATI NORTH AMERICA Mfr's Report Date: OCT 08, 2007
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 07V474000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:BATTERY:CABLES
Potential Number of Units Affected: 385
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE BATTERY CAN MOVE SIDE TO SIDE INSIDE THE FUEL TANK MOUNTING COMPARTMENT. THIS MOVEMENT COULD RESULT IN MAIN WIRING HARNESS DAMAGE AT THE BATTERY TERMINAL. THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CONSEQUENTLY STOPPING THE ENGINE.
Consequence:
IF THE ENGINE STOPS WHILE THE MOTORCYCLE IS BEING DRIVEN, IT COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A BATTERY MOUNTING BRACKET AND TWO DOUBLE LOCK VELCRO STRIPS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BATTERY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 19, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DUCATI MOTORCYCLES AT 1-408-253-0499.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

6.4 gallon fuel tank from California Cycleworks

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/docs/184/uncategorized/hypermotard-64-gallon-tank.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9_TBVZgFtA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdXGmZXzVeI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCEEMuZceNg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-SaIoPjyOI&feature=related

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
i just dont care, as long as it is running smooth

face it if fuel an issue you are riding the wrong bike

ducati's are about passion not economy
my thoughts shane tbird
i had guy say what the f**k as that it looks evil !

ducati hypo M8
pure sex on a bike not just transport :)

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
i just dont care, as long as it is running smooth

my thoughts shane tbird
i had guy say hat the f**k as that

ducati hypo M8
pure sex on a bike
i'm getting 150kms a tank before refill i'm living with that

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts

my thoughts shane tbird
i had guy say hat the f**k as that

ducati hypo M8
pure sex on a bike
i'm getting 150kms a tank before refill i'm living with that
I've got my fingers crossed that frame dimensions wise, that the Cycleworks 6.4 gallon tank for the 08/09 Hypers will fit the 2010 model.
I don't need no stinkin' airbox :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

my thoughts shane tbird
i had guy say what the f**k as that it looks evil !

ducati hypo M8
pure sex on a bike not just transport :)
I don't care about MPG, I can ride more if I'm not at a gas pump. I'm not your average motorcyclist> background- enduro racer(retired, bad disc in back), light weight road race(sv650 retired- sick of all the rain at loudon,NH track),adventure rider(I've ridden to all 49 states, central america, south africa, still finding adventures)ironbutt rider-I still ride my V-strom with a 5 gal. aux. fual tank = 10.8 gal. total.Still do 1000-1500 mile days ,in most cases back to back to back..
This isn't my first Ducati (had a 99 900SS) JUST MY FIRST ONE WITH 3.3 GAL. TANK. I'm just trying to see if there might be something wrong with my bike or if there is a way of getting more than 75 miles before I have to change my route to find gas....
You will have a tough time finding anybody with more passion for 2 wheels than myself,
My currant line is- Ducati hyper motard, suzuki v-strom 1000,KLR650,H-D road king

:cool:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi, do you know if we (termi set up ) can be mapped with diff. fuel maps??
Honestly Gary, I use it as it stands. I commute around the city with it and take a few weekend trips. Many years of working on airplanes and now computers I will leave the fuel maps and tinkering to someone else. I have thought of changing the rear sprocket to get a bit more mileage out of it but I haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Your bike is typical. My bike will vary between 75 - 95 miles to the fuel light, depending on how much time is spent twisting the grip. Have the trim adjusted correctly, as when you are cruising in a low fuel demand part of the map the trim has more effect. Also, gearing down can actually help milage, as it makes the next higher gear more usable in a lot of situations. Cooler weather will also drop your milage a bit, as the ECU is compensating for the more dense cool air by making things richer. It will also get better when broken in.

FWIW I have done a few overnight trips on the bike with 350 -400 mile days. I have a GPS to find the next gas and carry two plastic 2L fuel containers in a tail bag for emergencies, but never had to use them. Out west I can see it being more of an issue but in NJ/NY and New England not such a big deal.

Are you a NETRA guy? I'm an ECEA enduro rider but have done some NETRA hare scrambles. I also like the NETRA kids programs much better.

Enjoy the bike, great ride for a dirt bike guy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My '09 get's an average of 38.9mpg [low was 32.2 and high was 45.6]. I've got the Termi slip-ons 2-1-2, cat eliminator, airbox and DP ECU. My fuel light comes on around 95-100 miles.

This is with me riding the Hyper as it should be ridden - albeit the front tire isn't off the ground much. :)

I think I'm running a bit rich as I often do get backfires on compression braking.

·
Registered
196 Posts
One recall for teh 2008 Hyper
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

Recalls - Search Results
1 Record(s) Displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Date : November 17, 2009 at 04:49 AM
Search Type : VEHICLE
Make: DUCATI
Model or Model No.: HYPERMOTARD

Make: DUCATI Model: HYPERMOTARD
Manufacturer: DUCATI NORTH AMERICA Mfr's Report Date: OCT 08, 2007
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 07V474000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:BATTERY:CABLES
Potential Number of Units Affected: 385
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE BATTERY CAN MOVE SIDE TO SIDE INSIDE THE FUEL TANK MOUNTING COMPARTMENT. THIS MOVEMENT COULD RESULT IN MAIN WIRING HARNESS DAMAGE AT THE BATTERY TERMINAL. THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CONSEQUENTLY STOPPING THE ENGINE.
Consequence:
IF THE ENGINE STOPS WHILE THE MOTORCYCLE IS BEING DRIVEN, IT COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A BATTERY MOUNTING BRACKET AND TWO DOUBLE LOCK VELCRO STRIPS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BATTERY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 19, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DUCATI MOTORCYCLES AT 1-408-253-0499.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

6.4 gallon fuel tank from California Cycleworks

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/docs/184/uncategorized/hypermotard-64-gallon-tank.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9_TBVZgFtA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdXGmZXzVeI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCEEMuZceNg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-SaIoPjyOI&feature=related
Have you ever noticed all recalls have "risk of crash" always thrown in regardless of the recall?

"Rear view mirror may come loose" " if motorcycle is continued to be driven it may risk a crash"

·
Banned
12 Posts
30.3 miles when the fuel light came on with the stock tank... I had to push it .8 of a mile to the gas station... I found out the hard way...

Now I have the oversized tank... Love it... 217 miles and then I saw the fuel light... I have not tried to see how far it will go when the light comes on...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
30.3 miles when the fuel light came on with the stock tank... I had to push it .8 of a mile to the gas station... I found out the hard way...

Now I have the oversized tank... Love it... 217 miles and then I saw the fuel light... I have not tried to see how far it will go when the light comes on...
Does the ECU get any info from the air box that is no longer on the bike?? any other +/- to installing the bike tank.
I was thinking of putting a 2 gal aux fuel tank on the Ducati rear rack in the tail bag with a quick disconnect.
I have done this 2 times once on a concours (carb bike) just tee into the fuel line and I have one on my V-strom ( had a fitting welded into the fuel pump plate) .
If there is no room on the duc fuel pump plate a bulkhead fitting can be installed on any flat surface of the tank.
2 more gal. would be safe for the rear rack (12 lbs.). It would be hidden in the tail bag and could be removed in minutes.
The only down side would be the fuel would be sitting above the seat vs. below and I would have to weld a fitting on the fuel plate or drill a hole in the gas tank....
Any thoughts on a aux fuel tank??????

·
Registered
605 Posts
The air temp and press sensor is in the front so thats no issue.

The big tank comes with small pod filters for the throtttle bodies. Some guys say you loose a little torque off the bottom.

I think modifying the fuel flange for a QD fitting might be possible, and a clean safe solution. The line from a tailbag tank would then be a short run. Take a look at the service manual photos and you'll get a better idea. Other than that, removing the flange assy should give you access to the inside to mount a fitting to a flat plastic surface.

If your not running stock or other undertail cans, you could get creative with that space. Some of the bladders available are interesting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts