Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to do some extended riding after installing a 50mm full titanium Termi system on my 03 749s. Sound and response are great, but my mileage plummeted!

I used to get 120-130 miles between refills and now the gas light comes on at around 90-100! Seems pretty dramatic. I was able to bring it back up a little after being gentler on the throttle, short shifting, etc...

I'm guessing that it has something to do with the new ECU and running rich? Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
red_ryder said:
Finally got a chance to do some extended riding after installing a 50mm full titanium Termi system on my 03 749s. Sound and response are great, but my mileage plummeted!

I used to get 120-130 miles between refills and now the gas light comes on at around 90-100! Seems pretty dramatic. I was able to bring it back up a little after being gentler on the throttle, short shifting, etc...

I'm guessing that it has something to do with the new ECU and running rich? Anyone else experience this?
My only experience is with a 998 I bought after a Silmotor titanium 1/2 system was set up by BCM. I get about 40 mpg in town and between 47-50 mpg on the interstate.

bruce19

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
its odd, i'm on a 748. first tank with pipes and eprom i could manage 80 or 90 miles. then it went to 110, then to 130. it never made sense to me but i'm glad it isn't 80miles per tank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

I installed a termi half system on a 04 999 and initially noticed a drop in fuel economy as well. A few days later and perhaps 3 tanks, I installed a pciii and custom-mapped it on a dyno and it's pretty much back to what I was getting completely stock, although still a little lower.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
The Ducati Performance ECU for the 749S is alot richer in midrange then the stock ECU. Some even say that the DP unit gives the bike LESS power then the stock for that very reason.

Here is a writeup from down under on a 749S and the DP ECU.
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/749sremustermi.html

RED is DP ECU & Termignoni 54mm full system (new style)
GREEN is Stock ECU and Stock pipes.

Fuel/air and torque. Same colors.

I´m not saying that Brad is always right, but you can clearly see how rich the DP ECU mixture is at ~6500RPM. Best fueleconomy would be at 5000rpm.
Stock would be best MPG at ~4200RPM.

//amullo

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info all. Amullo that's really interesting! I'm sure there are some slight variations between the data and my bike (03 749s with 50mm) but I think I experienced very similar performance.

According to the graph then, I would actually get better mileage if I ran at 9000rpm than 6500rpm? Sounds like I gotta keep the revs up in the canyons, then upshift for higher gears/ lower rpm (5000) on the freeway.

I read in the owner's manual that the tank is 15.5 liters or about 4 gallons including reserve- is that accurate?

The reason for all the curiosity is because I'm going on a 700-800mile tour shortly.

Thanks guys!

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
red_ryder said:
Sound and response are great, but my mileage plummeted!

who cares! hahahahaha It sounds great, that's what's important!

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Buckelew said:
who cares! hahahahaha It sounds great, that's what's important!
Indeed, there's no such thing as a free lunch - where do you think the extra power comes from? ;)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I guarantee 'some' of your mileage reduction is self induced...more power, better sound so you roll on it a little more than you used to!! My 749s mileage is unchanged but that can be adjusted instantly depending on how I run her!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
used to have a 748 2002, the milage was horrible right up to the first service,
dealer told me it was part of the break in procedure, after service, the bike
ran better, also much improved milage, maybe you can fine tune your bike a little more, or since you changed your exhaust, ask your installer to check it out, .....
i tell you this because, i purchased a 2002 998 with Ti akrapovic and the dealer just installed them, didn't adjust anything, the bike sounded great but
was popping at low rpm's, asked my mech. to check it out.....
my throttle bodies were opening @ 1/4 " intervals!!!

now everything is adjusted and i feel like i'm riding a different bike and milage is better.

anyways good luck, i hope this info helps
nat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts