Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys this is my first post as im a new member on here. and a new owner of an 01 748.

i tried searching but couldnt find why my gas light is always on. and when i hit the hand brake the light doesnt flash. only the rear brake flashes on the tail. any ideas?

·
Registered
347 Posts
hey guys this is my first post as im a new member on here. and a new owner of an 01 748.

i tried searching but couldnt find why my gas light is always on. and when i hit the hand brake the light doesnt flash. only the rear brake flashes on the tail. any ideas?
welcome buddy...
I gt the same issue with my brakes. My hand front brake doesn t light the tails but the foot rear does. I would lik eto know too

As for your gas light, well.......I have no idea.

Post pics of the bike and welcome

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Would check the Fuel level sender in the tank, it is a simple float switch which should only pass current (to light the low fuel light) when the fuel level is low, I would suspect the switch is bad.

As for the brake light, there is a switch on the lever that operates it, this plugs in to the bike at the front but there is a small pin in the lever mechanism that operates the switch, you could have a problem with switch, pin or connection.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd dissconnect the battery once. See if it resets the gas light.

For the front brake not lighting up the brake light, follow the wire from the lever to the right headlight. The wire should connect under the headlight somewhere. Make sure that connection is tight. Happened to me. All I did was push the two wires to make a better connection. Workes like a charm now..

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
My front brake light switch failed and I replaced it through desmotimes.com. These switches routinely go bad on pre-2003 Ducatis. I am not sure of the fuel light issue.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Low Fuel Warning Circuit Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting an erratic low fuel light is pretty simple. A faulty fuel level sensor is usually the problem but an intermittent short circuit in the wiring or connectors could also be the problem.

If the light fails to come on when you first turn the ignition key, the bulb itself is burned out.

The electrical circuit is a simple one. The fuel level warning light becomes lit when the fuel level sensor (switch) closes the circuit allowing current to flow through the sensor to the light and then to ground to complete the circuit.

So, a problem in the wiring or connectors will bypass the sensor (short circuit.)

But, since erratic behavior of the fuel level sensor is quite common it should be the first suspect. Ducati has tried a number of different sensor and connector designs and changed vendor sources over the years in an attempt to improve reliability. Consequently, if you have to replace a fuel level sensor on an early year bike, it's probably best to replace it with a unit made for a later year even though this will sometimes require changing the connector type.

There are two small pinholes on the side of the sensor that lets the fuel in/out. Try using compressed air to clean out the holes.

A faulty sensor will continuously, or intermittently, stick open or closed.

If the light stays on, either the sensor switch is stuck closed, or there is a short circuit that has bypassed the sensor.

So for example, the warning light may come on prematurely due to fuel sloshing, and stay on due to a sticking sensor even though there is an adequate fuel reserve in the tank. Or, an intermittent short circuit will cause the same behavior.

Similarly, the warning light may extinguish due to fuel sloshing, and stay off due to a sticking sensor even though there is a low fuel reserve. Or, an intermittent open circuit will cause the same behavior. Or the indicator lamp is burned out.

But the only way to be sure is to use your service manual and a multimeter and check it out yourself or take it to your dealer.

First, disconnect the wire harness under the tank. The two smaller wires are the low-fuel dash light signal. Short them together and if the light comes on, the sender is faulty.

PS>The four wires on the multiplug to the pump can get bent really sharply when the tank is fitted. The wires break and either nothing happens or the "signal" gets really weak. Can also cause the pump to fail Worth a check. Try and place the multiplug to the front of the spark plug cap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts