Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I noticed a gas smell in my garage, I found a leak under my 848 EVO. I hadn't ridden my bike in about a 4 days. I cleaned up the area, and then about 3 days later, there was a gas smell again. I put a glass underneath to catch the drippings (only thing I had).

My noob brain wants to say that its from it being so hot lately, and the garage getting hotter than normal, that maybe pressure is building up causing the gas to leak out of the overflow? I'm leaving the gas tank open, with it being covered up so nothing falls/flies in there. If it doesn't leak, then that's the problem, right?

Anyone else have this issue before?

Thanks,
Juan

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I have had this problem before and yes it was due to heat/high temps. I did find my breather was clogged and didnt allow tank to breath.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Mine was due to two broken fuel line quick disconnects on my 748/996.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had a similar issue. Rode my EVO for the first time in weeks (months?) when the weather turned. First stop was to fill up the nearly empty tank, and then off to the dealer for a state inspection.

I get her home after riding around a bit, and park her in the garage per usual. After a couple of days I smell something in the house, thinking it was some kind of paint thinner a neighbor was using. Turns out to be a small amount of fuel leaking out from under the fairing (front & back), but also around the filler cap on top of the tank. I clean it up, place a pan under the fairing, and open the cap to relieve pressure.

This goes on for a couple of days and the leaking continues, so I call the dealership. They did not sound shocked. Had the bike trailered to the shop and they initiated a Ducati warranty claim. Apparently these tanks are notorious for bad seals and this happens all the time. Took about 3 days to get the claim approved, another 3 days for the new tank order to come in.

Bike is back in my possession and is riding like nothing happened. Still need to take her back in once a new filler cap comes in (part of the warranty...my cap was stained from the fuel leak).

All in all, it sucks that this happened...bike had only 800 miles on it. But Ducati handled this very, very well, and after all it's a Ducati so you kinda know crap like this is going to happen when you make the purchase, as ratty as that sounds. That's why you get the extended factory warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts