Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here was my starting procedure yesterday.....it was cold say around 45 degs so I turned the fast throttle lever all the way on...cranked it for a couple of minutes and nothing...turned the lever off and she fired right up.

While it was warming up I noticed a puddle starting to drip on the ground directly under the bike. It was coming out of the bottom of the fairing so I couldn't see where it was from. It was pretty large about twice as big around as a coke can.

After it warmed up it stopped and never did the bike seem to run poorly at all. I got back and no leak.

Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
You store it on the centerstand, right? You warmed it up on the kickstand, right? Just a high fuel level which will leak when placed on the kickstand if that's the case. Normal.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You store it on the centerstand, right? You warmed it up on the kickstand, right? Just a high fuel level which will leak when placed on the kickstand if that's the case. Normal.
No stored on the center and warmed on the center and fuel level was below 1/4 tank.

·
7,733 Posts
Remove the side panels, and try to replicate the leak scenario and see if you can find the source.

So, you went out for a ride in 45*F weather after spotting a mysterious gas leak? ;) You got it bad. :)

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I had the same scenario. It turned out to be minute cracks in the high pressure gas lines where they make the sharp bend where connected to the bottom of the gas tank. When the bike warmed up they wouldn't leak. Scary situation!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I would also concur that this sounds like a fuel line issue. I didn't have the exact same issue as you are describing but I was getting a leak from the overflow hose after I stopped and the motor was warm. I replaced all of the internal fuel lines and it was fixed. First find where the leak is coming from. Make sure its not the overflow which can be tucked up inside the fairing a little if its not routed properly. Have you ever had the interior fuel lines changed? If not then I would say you need to since the bike is 7-8 years old regardless if that is where the leak is coming from. The minimum would be an inspection of those lines. Goodluck let us know what you figure out.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Since the tank was only 1/4 full, could the leak have been water vapor which had condensed on the inside of the tank and then got flushed out the overflow hose when you started the bike?

Something similar happened to my 02-ST4s after it sat for a long time one winter without being started. It only happened that once.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just a quick off-topic question about my '98 ST2, if I may:

I noticed that the fuel line outside the tank is different (thinner) than the one inside. I just ordered the inside fuel line from LT along with the fuel pump O-ring.
Can I replace the outside line with the "5/16" ID (8mm) Reinforced Fuel Line", as I couldn't understand exactly from DT if it's possible.
Thanks!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just a quick off-topic question about my '98 ST2, if I may:

I noticed that the fuel line outside the tank is different (thinner) than the one inside. I just ordered the inside fuel line from LT along with the fuel pump O-ring.
Can I replace the outside line with the "5/16" ID (8mm) Reinforced Fuel Line", as I couldn't understand exactly from DT if it's possible.
Thanks!
There are different lines under the tank. The two long ones going to and from the throttle bodies should be replaced with 5/16 fuel injection hose like that sold by desmotimes. The two long hoses inside the tank are also the same size. The other hoses under the tank are for vapor and fuel overflow. Probably doesn't matter what size those are unless the vapor actually goes to the canister on the left side.
Bill W.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update....I tried starting it twice now and both times it started with no leak. the only thing I did differently was I started it without turning on the fast idle lever. Anyone know if that could effect it at all?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts