Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Gas dripping from overflow hose?

4247 23
As the title suggests I have a little gas dripping from the overflow hose under the fairing. Anyone have any thoughts as to cause? Something to worry about or not.

It has less then a half tank in it and it was sitting for a while before it happened. It has been rather warm here but with less then half a tank of fuel I am wondering what might be causing it.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

7,721 Posts
Is it dripping out of, or off of the overflow line? With a half tank of gas, there is no overflow. As it runs so close to the other fuel lines, perhaps fuel is dripping onto it from a leak, and then it's running down the outside of the overflow line and dripping off. Just a thought.

7,721 Posts
Well I took a look inside the tank and all the hoses look good from what I can see. I lifted the tank also and everything appears in order and there is nothing dripping. Not sure what I should do next short of draining the tank and pulling the bottom unit out completely. I put it on the side stand today and I am going to see what the catch jar looks like in the morning........:confused:

You may want to wipe the underside of the tank and all connections/hoses down clean and dry, and then apply a light coating of an antiperspirant spray with a powdery residue, or some flour from the kitchen blown off your fingers so you'll be able to trace any leaking to the source. Start the bike to pressurise the fuel system and let it run for a bit and then leave it as you say. With any luck, you'll be able to spot any leaks as the powdery coated areas will have absorbed any leaking gas and become darkened.

7,721 Posts
Good idea but I don't believe any of the leaking is coming from under the tank. It is dripping from the overflow at the bottom of the hose like it should and is still today. (about week now) so I will just have to bite the bullet I guess and pull the tank apart to see what is going on. Not looking forward to this but seems like the only recourse now.
Having a new O ring handy is probably a good idea, if you don't know if the one in there now has been used twice already.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.