Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I'm the new owner of a 2000 750 SS that's been sitting for a couple of years. I drained the sour gas and refilled with fresh. But it seems the pump is bad. I need to remove the cap, but have no idea how. Any help? I've searched the archives and found a lot of advice on how to install it, but none on how to remove it.
Thanks,
Doug

IT'S OFFICIAL! I'm a dumbass. I noticed the little allen bolts.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My two cents

If my memory serves me correctly, remove the allen bolts on the cap surround. Then there are like 8 small 'grub screws' that are on the inside of the surround. A small allen wrench will back those out, then, pry the cap up. It's held in there by a rubber seal. I used a long screw driver and inserted the shaft into the gas tank and gave it a soft pry up and out it came. Be careful not to drop anything into the tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Indy's memory is perfectly right... I have a 1999 900SS with the same config. The only thing I could think of being different is if you have an aftermarket cap. Also on the "grub screws" make sure you don't back them all the way out. They only need to come back a couple of quick turns. The o-ring and upper gaskets are tricky to get back on. Note the placement/orientation of the black upper gasket before removal. New o-ring might be warranted while you've got it off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All good advice. The grub screws are the key to getting it out. When re-installing, try sitting the gasket in some hot (but not boiling) water for a minute or two. It will temporarily soften it and make the process less frustrating...

Also, when removing, don't forget the two drain hoses that will be attached to the underside of the cap. ducsport

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just changed out my tank for a new high tech non leaking version. The hardest part was the black gasket. Just takes a little time it goes on.
A little lube on the O-ring makes the cap slip right it without pushing to hard.(and I mean a little.. Just enough to look undry.lol)

Humm I see by the date now that your project is prob done and over... And coming into the gate last is LKNANML......lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts