Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a new Multi owner , and still building up the magic 600 miles for checkup and service,
I've noticed the few times I have put gas in the tank, the cap wouldn't lock down/closed without the key ...
In order to lock it / get it to stay closed after fueling , I have to push down pretty firmly, and hold
while turning the key...normal ? or should I add that to my list of things to "squawk " about,
when I take it to the dealer...

I have a couple other bikes with similar gas caps
another Ducati, and a BMW ...all I have to do to close/latch the cap is push it down and it snaps/locks
without the damn key , and a two handed operation

thanks in advance

·
Registered
173 Posts
AFAIK It's normal, my '13 works the same way. If the key is out with the cap open you cannot push the latch in, with the key in and I push down the cap you can see the key turn. My GS will will close without the key. MS not.
Cheers
Stevo

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
I recall that being how the 15 keyed cap works also... leave the key in. I bought the Electric cap in late 15 and that's is quite a bit easier to deal with, no key required and just push it closed when done.

Was a bit nervous about reliability with the solenoid operated cap but 30,000 miles worth of refills with no issues... so far... but I still carry both the hex keys needed to pull the tank cover off though :)

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
Normal on my -10 aswell.
If you Think its a big problem, you can replace the gascap with one that doesnt need a key at all.
I tried fitting my old "race" gascap from my 916 on my 1200s -10 and it was bolt on.

here is a pic from Another member on here. No key needed!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice cap

Normal on my -10 aswell.
If you Think its a big problem, you can replace the gascap with one that doesnt need a key at all.
I tried fitting my old "race" gascap from my 916 on my 1200s -10 and it was bolt on.

Where can you get those?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Never liked the idea of having your Fab as the only way to open up your fuel cap. What if I lose it on a trip, yeah I can get the bike started but won't be able to add any more fuel until I get a key. Lately, my key is sticking and I'm having trouble getting it out to a point that its becoming a bit forceful. Probably will be looking to swap out the cap as well.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Try a little dry lubrication. A cheap and easy source is to scrape the lead on a pencil with a knife over the key opening so that the scrapings fall in. This works to unstick many locks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Normal on my -10 aswell.

btw, the upper u-bolt on handlebar is assembled wrong way,
the 2 arrows on u-bolt must point forward

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
why are there 2 arrows ?
look at the handlebarpicture (zoom it) in manual
and note the sequence 1-2-3-4-3
The tightening sequence can be done regardless of how the u-bolt is installed. It is symmetrical and can be installed with the arrows either up or down, makes no difference in function.

The arrows are decoration. :wink2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts