Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably super easy for all the talented wrenchers on here… but it took me a little while to figure it out so I figured I would post about it.

I was tired of looking at my scratched up gas cap so I put the word out that I was looking for a stock replacement. A very generous member sold me his old one for a great price. Of course the gas cap itself is a direct swap out. The tricky part comes when switching over the lock cylinder so my stock key works with the replacement.

I know… a somewhat trivial task, but I figure this post might be able to help someone in my same situation or maybe switching over to an aftermarket locking gas cap.

Step 1 – remove the gas cap assembly from the tank.

Step 2 – remove the 2 screws holding the lock assembly. BE CAREFUL not to lose the little spring that keeps pressure on the locking mechanism.

Step 3 – remove the ring/washer. This should come out very easily with a very small flat head screwdriver.

Step 4 – underneath the ring you just removed there should be a small brass retainer under slight tension. I used the same small screwdriver to push it inwards toward the cylinder while gently pushing on the lock cylinder. The cylinder should release and slide out towards the key entry side.

Once again BE CAREFUL. I think all of the lock tumblers (doohickies?) could fall out if you dropped it. Mine stayed intact but I was sure to keep the cylinder vertical… I did not lay it on its side during the whole procedure.

Now you are ready to put the cylinder into the new gas cap. Just follow the same procedure in reverse. Done… pretty easy!

I figure this procedure would work on all kinds of Ducati locking mechanisms: gas caps, seat locks, panniers, etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Nice work and thanks for posting! Some stuff is pretty easy but a good pictorial is always welcome because it makes a good reference. It allows someone to see the process and help determine if they can do it as well as in case something goes wrong they can see the pictures to figure out how to put it back together at a particular point.

Based upon my experience with car locks, it may help to have the key in the lock and turned to the "unlock" position when removing/inserting the tumbler. This helps retain the pins/tabs in the tumbler.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Toby!

Nice tip on keeping the key in the lock. Kind of ironic that the key is just sitting there in the photos calling out to be put into the lock! :)

Nice work and thanks for posting! Some stuff is pretty easy but a good pictorial is always welcome because it makes a good reference. It allows someone to see the process and help determine if they can do it as well as in case something goes wrong they can see the pictures to figure out how to put it back together at a particular point.

Based upon my experience with car locks, it may help to have the key in the lock and turned to the "unlock" position when removing/inserting the tumbler. This helps retain the pins/tabs in the tumbler.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know this is probably super easy for all the talented wrenchers on here… but it took me a little while to figure it out so I figured I would post about it.

I was tired of looking at my scratched up gas cap so I put the word out that I was looking for a stock replacement. A very generous member sold me his old one for a great price. Of course the gas cap itself is a direct swap out. The tricky part comes when switching over the lock cylinder so my stock key works with the replacement.

I know… a somewhat trivial task, but I figure this post might be able to help someone in my same situation or maybe switching over to an aftermarket locking gas cap.

Step 1 – remove the gas cap assembly from the tank.

Step 2 – remove the 2 screws holding the lock assembly. BE CAREFUL not to lose the little spring that keeps pressure on the locking mechanism.

Step 3 – remove the ring/washer. This should come out very easily with a very small flat head screwdriver.

Step 4 – underneath the ring you just removed there should be a small brass retainer under slight tension. I used the same small screwdriver to push it inwards toward the cylinder while gently pushing on the lock cylinder. The cylinder should release and slide out towards the key entry side.

Once again BE CAREFUL. I think all of the lock tumblers (doohickies?) could fall out if you dropped it. Mine stayed intact but I was sure to keep the cylinder vertical… I did not lay it on its side during the whole procedure.

Now you are ready to put the cylinder into the new gas cap. Just follow the same procedure in reverse. Done… pretty easy!

I figure this procedure would work on all kinds of Ducati locking mechanisms: gas caps, seat locks, panniers, etc.
Thanks for sharing Lex, I did it this morning end it was so easy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts