Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads, had my 97 916 in the back of a van recently and noticed a very strong smell of fuel. Some suggested it was the fuel pump or connector seal but the smell is coming from the top of the gas cap. Is this normal…??

I had a similar issue with my classic Fireblade and replaced the cap with an Oberon one. No more gas smell. Just before I order one for the Duc I just wanted to check if it's a common issue.…

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You might try taking it apart first to see. On my '93 Monster, the gas cap has a one-way valve with several rubber bits in it, that is supposed to let air in as the gas is consumed, but not let the fumes out. Perhaps your valve has failed, some of the little rubber bits have become cracked or dissolved or something. When mine failed, it failed closed, so I didn't get fumes, what I got was fuel starvation as a vacuum was pulled in the tank. Sounds like yours failed open, and is letting passage in both directions. A new fuel cap will fix that, but you might be able to save some money by looking at that vent valve and seeing if you can fix that.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that sounds like the problem alright. DBS UK do a very reasonably priced quick release cap replacement. Normally I use Oberon UK for that sort of thing however in this case there is almost £50.00 of a price difference. Anyone used DBS stuff…??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts