Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a GPS for my Multistrada. I've had several Garmin's but have never been completely satisfied. They do the job but the've had a few quirks that make them not as user friendly as I would like. I've never used a Tomtom, but the new one is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the Zumo, so I was thinking of giving it a try. I would love some feedback.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I second what Jeff says, advrider is the place to go for GPS advice. I looked at both the Zumo and TomTom last year when I was buying a new GPS. I ended up with TomTom. Mainly for the reasons you mentioned, it was cheaper and with the Garmins I've had in the past I didn't feel like the Garmins were worth the premium. Only downside I've seen so far with the TomToms is that they're not as popular in the USA so not as much feedback, reviews, accessories and user info on them. That said, I've been happy with mine and would recommend. The online route planning tool is intuitive and easy to use and the device itself has a cool feature where you can plan a "thrill ride" where you choose level of curves and elevation (high, medium, low) and a final destination and it will come up with a route for you. You can do one way, round trip or choose different way points.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I second what Jeff says, advrider is the place to go for GPS advice. I looked at both the Zumo and TomTom last year when I was buying a new GPS. I ended up with TomTom. Mainly for the reasons you mentioned, it was cheaper and with the Garmins I've had in the past I didn't feel like the Garmins were worth the premium. Only downside I've seen so far with the TomToms is that they're not as popular in the USA so not as much feedback, reviews, accessories and user info on them. That said, I've been happy with mine and would recommend. The online route planning tool is intuitive and easy to use and the device itself has a cool feature where you can plan a "thrill ride" where you choose level of curves and elevation (high, medium, low) and a final destination and it will come up with a route for you. You can do one way, round trip or choose different way points.
Thanks for the follow up cabexbx. I've been watching youtube videos on the TomTom and all the presenters are from the UK or Ireland. I should say "satnav". I hate Garmin's Basecamp for Mac, never use it. I like your comment about the online route planning tool. Are you using that on a Mac? or a PC?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I bought a 550 rider a month or two ago. I went with that over the Garmin mainly because of battery life - I don't recall the prices being all that different? Garmin Zumo 396 was under $300.

Anyway... When I was trying to set up my account with TomTom I kept getting errors. So I went to the TomTom site to contact support.

To contact support, you need to sign in to your account.

Do you see the problem here?

It was frustrating a hell. There was NO WAY at all to contact support, they do not list a phone number, or an email address, every single thing I found led me back to the same website that said I needed to sign in to contact support. I did find one phone number for some department at TomTom in the US. And right after that phone number, the site stated they could NOT contact customer support from that number. So it's enough of an issue they know, but don't care.

I've been told by a few people they have horrible customer support. I ended up contacting a guy on the ADV forum who works there, he suggested I try creating an account using some other way that I've forgotten now, so it worked, but I had to use a different email than I wanted because the first one screwed everything up when the registration failed.

I also found them on facebook and posted a rant. I did get some response, but one of the things they suggested was signing onto the website to contact support. So not exactly confidence inspiring.

I still haven't figured out how to use it very well, I don't find it all that intutitive. Yeah, once you get signed on to the website it's kind ok but if you haven't used GPS before there are tricks that will catch you out. Create a route on the website and import it as a route? All it does is import waypoints and refigures the roads to take, so all those little detours you added are lost. You have to import it as a track instead. Or something. I've already forgotten.

Also, around here their "thrill ride" means it finds dirt roads to send you down. Granted the roads around here suck but it has never suggested some of the almost decent ones I know about. Instead it chooses dirt roads because I guess they're thrilling. Yes, you can choose to avoid dirt roads but even then it sends me down roads that I know aren't the curviest around.

Also... I'm out with the GPS. No computer, no phone app, and want to enter a destination into the thing. Not at all intuitive, not to me anyway.

So it's alearning curve, which yeah, they all will be, but it doesn' twork like any route finding programs I've used in my car or on my phone.

BTW I'm using a Mac with it.

If I had it to do over again I'd buy the Garmin, but that's only because a guy I ride with has one and I could just ask him what I'm doing wrong when I find myself in loops tyring to get something entered.

The kicker is, when I was researching stuff I found the same type of stories with Garmin, so apparently crappy support and non-intuitive interfaces are the norm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Instead of using Garmin Basecamp, trying creating routes on furkot.com and exporting them to your Garmin. I've found it to be a great tool for motorcycle and car road trip planning. You can plan the length of the days, add in POI stops, etc. Then you export it into a Garmin file, copy it to your Garmin, and use the Trip Planner tool in Garmin to import the file. I export the file as one route per day so it's easier to manage the entire trip. I don't have the XT but I'm happy with my 595LM.

It can also be used to plan gas stops (small extra annual fee for this free site. Happy to donate a few bucks to whomever is creating and managing the site) which can come in handy out west when it can be well over 100 miles between gas stations.

This is a screenshot of my recent route. The site for some reason is showing gas stops even though I didn't want it to but it didn't affect my planning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A big plus 1 for furkot. I have been using it since Microsoft killed Streets and Trips several years back and find it works really well. Its ability to share the route with the folks you intend ride with in read only or edit mode is a big sell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts