Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I did 1,100 miles of Northern California backroads. I'll post a report but - awesome!. And the Multi was hands down the most amazing bike on the trip. Perfect for goat trails and dirt, loves technical and tight, blasts sweepers. And WTF? Even Harley guys compliment it. BMW riders had the most questions. Jealous much?

Anyway - Navigation. I don't have a GPS, except phone and Ipad. I was going to get a Garmin 350 or 660, but didn't have time before the trip. As it turned out i only needed to stop twice to check I was in the right place.

I used Navigon by Garmin on the ipad and phone. That should have had all the Garmin maps loaded. Two surprises, the first one a Garmin deal killer:

1. Hands down the best road I was on was from Happy Camp to Highway 199 in Oregon (Cave junction). 38 miles of twisty heaven. No cars, great pavement, not to be missed. It doesn't exist on the Garmin map. Useless.

2. I put in Weaverville, CA to Garberville, CA and both Navigon and Google Maps sent my on a route that included Ruth Zenia Road. About 20 miles of this is single lane, non-maintained, with periodic dirt sections. Perfect on the Multi, but had I been on a sport bike or in a car I woulda been pissed. Just thought it was strange that was the route both apps suggested as the primary way from A to B.

The question for those with GPS - do you find the Maps complete? Is it unusual to have great backroads missing from the system?

I am trying to decide between a standalone GPS and using a powered mount for my iPhone. No way I'll invest $600+ if it only shows me roads I already know are there...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Happy camp to cave junction exists on my 660.

Not only that, but even all of the dirt roads that connect.to Happy Camp rd are on the GPS maps too.

Not sure what you are looking at, but one thing I do dislike about these Garmins, is that minor roads do not show up unless you are zoomed right in. Even, if you are actually traveling on the road at the time.

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ZenRider - Even zoomed in all the way in the Navigon Map on the iPad the road doesn't show. Garmin must be using different maps for the acutal GPS versus their iPhone/ipad nav software.

More important - pretty nice road. I have family in Cave Junction so I should be able to come up with a reason to ride it at least once a year :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The iOS apps have far less detail than Garmin's North American maps. It seems strange to call a deal breaker on a device you've never used. I've put 10's of thousands of miles on my Zumos, they have tremendous detail included, even on remote and FS roads.

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The iOS apps have far less detail than Garmin's North American maps. It seems strange to call a deal breaker on a device you've never used. I've put 10's of thousands of miles on my Zumos, they have tremendous detail included, even on remote and FS roads.
You answered the question, it is only a deal breaker if key roads aren't there. Garmin markets Navigon as the full maps version, but obviously it's not the same as with the actual unit. I just didn't want to spend $600-700 and find out the maps don't have some of the roads less traveled. So...350LM back in the consideration set.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Did you notice that there ain't no happy folks in Happy Camp? Friend of mine played HS football in that area. Said when they beat Happy Camp, the team ran to get on the bus before the ball hit the ground, else the losing team's parents would chase them with axe handles.

You're in successionist-country there. Lotsa good banjo music after dark.

pg
DD

ps my Nuvi 500 shows the road, as does Garmin Street Pilot on Windows Phone. Is just a minor road, so not there at wide zooms. Best to carry a map just the same.

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too true, Happy Camp wasn't. Family in Cave Junction said the same thing - their High School used to play HC every year.

Good to know the road is there on the GPS and thanks all for replies. This whole thing started when I programmed in Mendocino to Cave Junction visa Happy Camp in Navigon. 611 miles, WTF? No matter what I did it kept sending me back to Arcata and up the 101. Google Maps sent me on that awesome road. But...was it really there? Good thing I had an actual paper map too. Sad that I needed analog to confirm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts