Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Dudes got some dough to spend! With that budget I would have spooned in an 1100 evo motor for good measure haha

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Failed to put some decent tires on it though.... typical Brit: All show. :grin2::grin2::grin2:

Reactions: HyperJB and DuckMan

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
NO the sport classic frame and MHE are very different bikes. The MHE was not originally supposed to be a production bike and the show bike used a camera instead of mirrors, when they made the production bike the mirrors were even less usable than the usual Ducati mirrors as they were too low.

Nice work as it seems to be well thought out overall, sad it will probably sit in a showroom more than it will be ridden but then that's what art its for. I agree on the tires as when they were new and came on the sports classics we used to (sort of) joke that they were made up from ground up 1970's Pirelli tires as they just would not warm up even on the track.

The MHE chassis was better than most realized as those who did track them found them to work well. I know of someone who raced his for many years and it was his favorite bike given his stable that says a lot. Upsides were chassis, motor and styling. Downsides were PIA dual batteries, plastic gas tank (under cover) and the massive fake sump to make the engine look like a bevel.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I'm glad there were captions because I could barely understand them. I went 11 minutes into it and couldn't take it any more but it is a really nice looking bike, I like it. What was his name?...LOL...

There's no reason for the cheap-ass tires, even if it will rarely ever be ridden. The argument of "it will just be a paper-weight" is not good enough. Why a digital rear-view camera? Why a titanium frame when most people wouldn't have a clue what metal it was until told? Why expensive, "non -Bay" rims? If all that expensive, bespoke trouble is gonna happen then you slap the best goddamn tires on it for the street. Besides, unless one rides it like a grandma the tires are at least a safety factor to help keep it shiny-side up so why go cheap on a very visible item, especially one well-known amongst Ducatisti?

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Because it is a
Cafe
Custom
chopper

It does not matter if it is functional as long as it is cool, these bikes are seldom built to be ridden much if at all. Many of us do this because it is fun to mod/build bikes so there is a certain amount of side aspect in doing so. I do like a well done bike and I like to build functional bikes but there are often decisions made based solely on cosmetics and MOST people do the same, there are times it does not matter and others where it does.

If the owner is not planning on riding the bike much or hard then the tires will be fine. I think the reason they are used is simply because they are one of (if not the) best vintage looking tread patterns out there. michelin had a much superior tire that came on some sport classics where the tread pattern might have been old but it was essentially a pilot power in rubber compound, problem was they just did not look special like the Pirelli's do. You can still get fresh Pirelli's so even thhough I am NOT a fan I am sure there are a bunch sold every year for Cafe,customs and choppers and those customers are not that unhappy.

Cool bike, nothing I would want to own but I do like that they built a cool machine and appear to have kept much of its usability.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like that he's crazy enough to totally molest one of the more rare Ducatis into total worthless oblivion without fear.

I've seen a photo of one of these bikes mounted on a wall in a mansion, maybe it was fake but I think the idea is sound.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think he said, or i read somewhere, that it will be an everyday bike, which i think is cool.
Overall, i think its a great looking motorcycle, but that engine..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts