Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a 20 x 20 shop in my back yard several years ago and have enjoyed it very much, but I only recently cleared everything out to finish the sheetrock and painting. It was so full of motorcycles and stuff! I decided that before I cram everything back in, I'm going to use the open space to photograph my motorbikes and other items, such as my small collections of bicycles and minibikes and old power lawnmowers.

Here are some before and after pics of my minor construction project, taken from the same point in the room, and a couple of bike shots from the past two days. I'll put up more later. This project could take weeks. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Super nice job on the finishing out of your shop! Oh yes... very nice collection of bikes there. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Nice work on the shop. I am in the process of doing this as well. Having a 2 year old has put many things on hold, this being the main thing. But it has given me plenty of time to think about what I want to do and I have been purchasing little things here and there. In wall speakers, tools, wiring up lights and stereo and sealing up all of the framing. This year I plan on finishing everything I need to do before I start with the sheet rock.

So what type of lighting did you use for this shot? Looks great!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...So what type of lighting did you use for this shot? Looks great!...
Thank you for the kind words.

The only light used for the RD photo was a $10 Harbor Freight LED flashlight. The room was completely dark otherwise. I read about the technique of light painting in a photo magazine at the library (I love the library), then searched out some tutorials on You Tube.

A piece of tissue paper was placed over the lens of the flashlight for a diffuser. I taped on some construction paper to make a barn door arrangement so I could control the edge of the light and keep it off the wall behind the bike.

The camera is a Canon 7D on full manual setting and manual focus, with 24-70 lens, 100 ISO, f11, and the shutter set at 30 sec. I used the self timer to trip the shutter and then ran around with the flashlight. My body was between the motorcycle and the camera the entire time, but it does not appear in the photo. The image posted here is about the fifteenth attempt.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thank you for the kind words.

The only light used for the RD photo was a $10 Harbor Freight LED flashlight. The room was completely dark otherwise. I read about the technique of light painting in a photo magazine at the library (I love the library), then searched out some tutorials on You Tube.

A piece of tissue paper was placed over the lens of the flashlight for a diffuser. I taped on some construction paper to make a barn door arrangement so I could control the edge of the light and keep it off the wall behind the bike.

The camera is a Canon 7D on full manual setting and manual focus, with 24-70 lens, 100 ISO, f11, and the shutter set at 30 sec. I used the self timer to trip the shutter and then ran around with the flashlight. My body was between the motorcycle and the camera the entire time, but it does not appear in the photo. The image posted here is about the fifteenth attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb4uTGVfpUk
I have no photography skills but I did buy my wife a nice Nikon Camera a couple of years ago. At the time I remember looking into tips for taking photos of my bikes for whenever I finished the garage in the basement. This was one of the techniques I found while searching on the web. I haven't got to the point of trying it yet but after seeing your photos it will be the first one I do try.

Here is the link.

https://digital-photography-school.com/light-painting-part-one-the-photography/

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of my friends is bringing over two of his bikes to shoot tonight. He has an early 90s 900 SS and a foreign delivery Honda CX 500 sort of thing that I believe is from the mid-1980s. Both are very neat machines and I'm excited for the opportunity.

I'll roll my GT1000 in here in another day or two. Here's my '09 Yamaha that I shot last night.

·
Administrator
11,849 Posts
Funny thing Tom, my wife has that exact Yamaha however yours appears to have less scratches. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More fun in the garage last night. Friends brought over a 2001 Ducati MH900e and a 1960 Go Kart Mfg. / Big Bear Scrambler minibike to photograph. They couldn't be much more different, but neither of these bikes gives up any coolness to the other, IMO. The Big Bear Scrambler is 58 years old! It doesn't get ridden a lot, but it is a runner. The Ducati has been preserved and perfectly detailed for long term static display.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts