Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now needing to replace the front discs on my bike and Galfer do not seem to officially list my bike.
Has anyone else replaced theirs with Galfers and if so can they post the Parts. No so I can try and get a UK supplier to get them in.
I have been told that the ST4 and ST4s discs are not the same ??
I can obtain an ST4 Speed Kit (Discs & Pads) for PS 373.00 Delivered v EM Brembo's at PS 277.00 each plus pads !
Cheers

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello, Gearbox
It's my understanding that any of the 320mm, six bolt, 10mm offset discs will fit. (that's from memory, hope it's all right...)
That includes 916, 998, 996, ST2, ST3, ST4, and probably some 900 SS and stuff like that.
Galfer should have a downloadable cross-reference available that shows all of that, including all the dimensions.
have you looked at the BrakeTech Axis rotors? They are full-floating (rattlers) available in ductile iron or stainless.
Pretty much the cutting edge in rotor technology.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
813 Posts
Give me some time to dig up my papers and I'll get you a P.N. for the rotors
i got mine from Matsu @ carrozzeria

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
749s - Yours is the post I recalled but it didnt surtface when I did a search - Great if you can give me the PN's

Guido - As you can see the ST4s rotors are 10 bolt but nevertheless I'm sure they must be similar to other's not least the 996 SBK ???

FYG my rotors ran to 4.54 and 4.57 mm against a min service limit of 4.5 but thats not bad in 48,000 Mls - Dont feel cheated but am looking forward to the Galfers and should remove the possibility of the dreaded "Brake Judder" !!!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello, Gearbox
I was describing the bolts to the hub, not the "buttons" from the carriers to the rotors. Mine are six, I believe the newer superbikes are five.
If you are going to replace the rotors and keep the same carriers, I would recommend using TPO full-floating "buttons". There are ten of those per disc.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Guido - As you can see the ST4s rotors are 10 bolt but nevertheless I'm sure they must be similar to other's not least the 996 SBK ???
10-bolt? Are you counting bolts or buttons? They should have 6 bolts from the carrier to the wheel. I would think that the Galfer parts already come with carriers, and no need to swap rotors or buttons.

Edit: looks like Guido beat me to it before I hit save.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
EBC Say that ST4S discs are different to ST4/2

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello, Gearbox
I was describing the bolts to the hub, not the "buttons" from the carriers to the rotors. Mine are six, I believe the newer superbikes are five.
If you are going to replace the rotors and keep the same carriers, I would recommend using TPO full-floating "buttons". There are ten of those per disc.
Sorry guys , fingers ran ahead of the brain !!! LOL
I have approached several UK suppliers now asking if they can supply a set and will use the numbers photo'd to double-check they are the correct items.
I'll post when I have them with the source for future guidance of forum members.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
EBC Say that ST4S discs are different to ST4/2
They are in Ducati terms. Steel carriers for the ST2 and 4, aluminum carrier "snowflakes" for the ST4s. There were also two different steel carrier rotors during the ST's life. The older "Swiss cheese style" that I believe were 4.5mm rotors and the newer style steels that were thinner and lighter with rotors @ 4mm. I had those on my 01 SS and they're on newer ST2 and non-S ST4 and ST3. In real life, they are all the same 320mm, 6 bolt, 10mm offset rotors that Ducati has used for years on SBK, ST, SS, and Monster until the newer 5 bolt rotors were introduced. I think the only exception to this during the 6 bolt era were some SBK R models that used a different offset.

Listings for any Ducati during those years should fit, except R model SBKs.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sorry guys , fingers ran ahead of the brain !!! LOL
I have approached several UK suppliers now asking if they can supply a set and will use the numbers photo'd to double-check they are the correct items.
I'll post when I have them with the source for future guidance of forum members.
Gearbox I installed a set of Gafler Wave rotors and I am sure that you would be pleased with them! They have cured our pulsing issues, have so far out lasted the OEM kms.,have a gentler initial bite and are wicked strong at high speeds. There seems to be only a couple of rotor replacements for the Ducatis, ours being the most common. The rotors came as listed for most of the ducati models that we are familiar with even as far back as the 851.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gearbox I installed a set of Gafler Wave rotors and I am sure that you would be pleased with them! They have cured our pulsing issues, have so far out lasted the OEM kms.,have a gentler initial bite and are wicked strong at high speeds. There seems to be only a couple of rotor replacements for the Ducatis, ours being the most common. The rotors came as listed for most of the ducati models that we are familiar with even as far back as the 851.

Jerry
04 ST4s
Hope you are right as I have now purcahsed them !

Second shock came when originally was going to buy just the discs as the retailer said the Galfer pads may be a bit hard for the road so rang my local (Glasgow) dealer to order OEM Brembo pads - Get this ...... PS 71 per pair !!!

Rang back the guy supplying the Galfers and switched to the Speed Kit that comes complete with the pads for PS 373 total to my door.
The OEM Discs & Pads would have come to PS 696.......!!!

So the big dismantle will start now for the winter , wont get to see the results now until next year but have a lot of work to do so time will fly (hopefully)

Cheers for all the feed-back and advice everybody

1 - 12 of 12 Posts