Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 MTS 1200S that has been having electrical Issues ( See thread http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/704985-help-mts-cardiac-arrest.html ).

Attached is a copy of just a small portion of the Electrical Wiring Diagram. Please take a look at item 12 on the diagram ( label as a Fused Solenoid ) and play close attention to what the diagram shows as connections "ACROSS" the "switched" terminals of the solenoid ( pins 1 and 2).

As a Registered Electrical Engineer (PE) & a Ham Radio Operator of over 55 years, I'm of the opinion there is something grossly wrong with the wiring diagram UNLESS Ducati just felt the need to add a useless electrical part to the already complex CANBUS wiring!

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for pre 2016 and/or 2017 or later that might shed some light on this????

Thanks, D

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems Ducati does not show the Starter Motor on the wiring diagram. Most of the bikes electrical power connects from the Positive terminal of the battery to a lug on the "fused Solenoid" van then via a 30 Amp fuse to a 4 pin connector on this "solenoid". That 4 pin connector has significant power running via the rather smallish terminals and two of the these are "paralleled" with conductors to feed "control" power to the rest of the bike.

Bottom line is don't believe the wiring diagram in your Owner's manual as being complete and accurate!

It's also a very poor design on Ducati's part to have to parallel terminals and conductors to handle the power load..........hence why this connector "burns up".

·
Registered
212 Posts
The wiring diagram for my 2015 is identical to yours and is definitely an exercise in frustration. I think it's impossible to figure out how this area of the bike is actually wired using the wiring diagram. There is no indication that there is a direct connection from the battery to the fused solenoid, and that pins 3 & 4 are connected directly to the battery through the 30A fuse. The diagram makes it look like there is no battery connection at this part.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would say this is what is missing. Pins 1 and 2 are not switched terminals, they are the solenoid coil terminals. The other two unlabeled terminals, let's call them 5 and 6, are the switched terminals. Excuse my hastily drawn starter lol. Some notes for general info.: +30 is constant battery power, +15 is switched power, and the wire diameter is listed as .5(mm) or 1.5(mm) for example, and the colors are in Italian of course. Pin 1 is switched solenoid pos. from starter sw., pin 2 is solenoid coil gnd-possibly switched thru immobilizer, pins 3 and 4 are fused wires, although they parallel into a single wire which is "less" than ideal. Possibly just redundancy(and it seems it was needed LOL)They are 1.5mm dia. ea. though, which points to a connector current limitation, as the wire size is adequate. Actually it only needs 1 of those wires if the connector has no resistance or no connector at all. The branch they both feed into is only 1.5mm itself, so...The Italians have difficult to read diagrams, very frustrating. I was a Master Maserati, Ferrari and Lotus technician for 11 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
One last thing, normally a solenoid coil is drawn to show that it "pulls" a contact down, to make contact. This is likely drawn incorrectly as well, but easy enough to understand if you're in the biz.

·
Registered
187 Posts
TXSailor- the whole purpose of canbus is to simplify wiring. The total weight of wiring in a car is on the order of several hundred pounds. Having a single twisted pair of wires greatly simplifies and reduces weight, as well as allowing communication/diagnostics from a single data point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts