Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what's up. Have not been around for a while, but this was just too damn funny not to post. I am in the jeep with the top and doors off yesterday taking the kids to the beach. Bikes are everywhere, it has rained for like 31 out of 40 days up here. I know the whole east coast has suffered this. However, the masses of bikes and in particular the wolf pack out there yesterday where like none I have ever seen. Anyway, I am slowing for traffic when what must have been 12 bikes passed me on the inside to get ahead. Well ahead of me was a lone Ducati rider on a 916-998 (I don't know) and he is stopped on the left side of the lane. The wolf pack comes up for a stop and the front rider pulled up next to the Duc rider. Well apparently his shoe lace must have been caught in his rear-set 'cause after a second of struggle he fell right on to the Duc rider knocking him over and off the bike. He even fell into the car next to him. I was 40-50 feet away and could not really hear what was said and I only predict what really happened this day. So get this, the Duc rider gets up and pulls his bike up. The guy on the 600 Honda is still kinda trying to get up and get his shoe off, well he did and stood up. He stood up right in the face of the Duc rider who was standing there waiting Then>>>> BOOM> a huge right hand to the Helmetless Honda rider knocking the $hit out him. All the other guys just kinda looked at this as if to say (O.K> mental note, never do that again and he desearved it. Unreal. Old Orchard Beach MAINE! I don't really know what happened after that as we pulled around and went on our way. 'But that guy knocked the crap out the Honda dude for sure! I would have done the same.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
FNGs. (phucking new guys). Feel for the ducati guy. Proper road manners for the honda guy would have prevented that for sure...as would proper safety gear...boots for the fall and helmet for the punch. ;) I never pull up next to a biker not in my group. Bad form.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lol, if you did that in LA, you'd probably have to give your Ducati to the Honda rider. Good to hear parts of the country still have their priorities straight.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dumb

Wow....looks like the newbie on the Honda will be buying a new 1098R with his new found $$$! Bonehead on the Duck should not be starting something like that in this society in front of a ton of witnesses!!!! That kind of "action" is what them Lawyer types LOVE, Ca-Ching$$$.:mad:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would do the same thing, lights out. It is such bad etiquette to join a rider not in your group. I hope the honda guy gets what he deserves, he is already halfway there.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Given the limited facts available to the OP (from his vantage point roughly 40 ft away), it is entirely feasible that the Duc rider, who had been behaving lawfully up to this point, and after being violently knocked off his bike unexpectedly, then having the Honda rider stand up right in front of him, was under the impression that the Honda rider was attacking him. In light of that, he might merely have used the minimum amount of force required to protect himself. What would an ordinary, reasonably prudent person think, especially with the amount of adreneline flowing through his system at that point?

The Duc rider was not necessarily unreasonable, and despite the comments above to the contrary, would not be liable to the Honda rider under those facts.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I am with Gary and Rick on that...dude is getting his grill cracked...we'll sort it with the PD if necessary but I am fine with Mr. Honda Asshat getting some sense knocked into him; Duc dude did him a favor...hope Duc's insurance was solid.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would do the same thing, lights out. It is such bad etiquette to join a rider not in your group. I hope the honda guy gets what he deserves, he is already halfway there.

What the fuck etiquette are you talking about? Some sort of bad ass biker club etiquette? I've been riding on the street for over 32 years and dirt bikes for longer than that. I've got over 350,000 miles on the street. I'll pull up to anyone riding anything, anywhere, if the situation warrants it, say howdy, and mosey off down the road. Touring/Gold Wing/Bmw type riders, no problem. Sport bike riders, no problem. Patch wearing Harley guys, never had a problem. Cruiser guys, no sweat. Now I hear this noise about rider etiquette. To me, rider etiquette is stopping to help someone with a dead bike sitting by the side of the road. Rider etiquette is if you are holding up someone going down a road somewhere, you pull over and let them by. And, in return, they will give you the low or high wave going by, hey thanks. Rider etiquette is giving a guy a master link out of your toolkit, even if you don't know him, to fix his broken chain out in the middle of nowhere, and if he/she isn't very mechanical, put it on for them. And in return, they should buy two of them, and mail one back to you, and keep on in their toolkit, because now they know. Rider etiquette is going and getting the guy a half gallon of gas when he runs out, maybe he will do the same for you next time.

Am I mistaken, or is there some real clique shit going on here? Over the past 30-some years, I've ridden just about everything. I've met a lot of damn good riders, just damn good people. And I don't cop an attitude because of what they ride or what I ride.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow....looks like the newbie on the Honda will be buying a new 1098R with his new found $$$! Bonehead on the Duck should not be starting something like that in this society in front of a ton of witnesses!!!! That kind of "action" is what them Lawyer types LOVE, Ca-Ching$$$.:mad:
When the Honda guy fell on the Duc I think that's considered assault :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Am I mistaken, or is there some real clique shit going on here?
You are mistaken,

Never pull up next to another rider unless they wave you up. The problem is you have to go to the lowest common denominator here. Some people don't want you to pull up next to them, so you have to assume everyone doesn't.

Nothing to do with badass bikery or anything, just etiquette.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I've been riding for 36 years and never heard of that etiquette. Riding next to someone would be bad etiquette, and dangerous.

I can't say I blame the Duc rider for wanting to smack the bozo but it was an assault with many witnesses. Not smart. Get the insurance info and settle up later. Hopefully, bozo learned the value of riding with boots.

·
Premium Member
12,321 Posts
What was Honda riders responce after knocking over the Duc? Yea I would have popped him too if he said anything but SORRY MAN SORRY. I try to NEVER MISS AN OPPURNITY TO BE NICE.... You believe that ? The Duc owner was irate and understandably so .

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Okay folks, some of you seem to have gotten off-track here. Let's review what we know:
Well ahead of me was a lone Ducati rider on a 916-998 (I don't know) and he is stopped on the left side of the lane.
Duc rider behaving lawfully, minding his own business.

The wolf pack comes up for a stop and the front rider pulled up next to the Duc rider. Well apparently his shoe lace must have been caught in his rear-set 'cause after a second of struggle he fell right on to the Duc rider knocking him over and off the bike.
This little detail is important: imagine you are minding your own business when someone crashes a motorcycle into you.

So get this, the Duc rider gets up and pulls his bike up. The guy on the 600 Honda is still kinda trying to get up and get his shoe off, well he did and stood up. He stood up right in the face of the Duc rider who was standing there waiting.
After lawfully minding his own business and waiting for traffic to move, then being struck by a motorcycle, he sees his assailant (what else could it be, given these circumstances?) get up right in front of him. Might this be a bike-jacking by a pack of riders trying to steal his bike? How is he to know?

This has nothing to do with the "etiquette" of cutting into line next to another rider - it is a case where a group of riders are riding erratically through traffic, and one of them crashes into another rider minding his own business. Depending on location and other factors (to which we do not have access) the Duc rider was wholly within his rights to exert control over the situation until he could determine he was okay.

I think at this point we can call off Emily Post on what a well-mannered bike rider might do, and agree that in this case, the Duc rider was protecting himself from (at a minimum) a grossly negligent act which caused him harm.

M'kay?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I don't know of any etiquette issues to speak of but while I'm not really bothered by someone riding up beside me at a light, I don't make the same assumption about someone else. I only ride up to the point and position where if I fell over we would not touch and that if a vehicle tapped me from the rear it would not push me into the other rider. Had I been in the Duc rider's position I would not have hit or shot the Honda guy either, I would have been really pissed but I would have simply gotten his insurance info and let him pay for any damages incurred. You never know, he may have been a nice guy having a really bad day providing you with the opportunity to make a friend not aan enemy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts