Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, while putting on my sunglasses, they decided to give up the ghost and flew apart into pieces. So the next day, I bought some new glasses to replace them. The new glasses were polarized, the old ones were not. I've had polarized glasses before, but not in a few years.

Anyhow, fast forward to the next morning as I am backing the bike out of the garage, I notice that my LCD display is dim. Not quite dead, I can see a glimmer of a blue sideways V on the right, but the display is effectively dark. Worried that the LCD backlight has died, I dome to this board and begin searching, and of course I discover that these lights are not field serviceable, and apparently a somewhat common failure. Bummer.

Well... fast forward another day and a half before I realize that the LCD light is highly polarized, and it just happens to be perpendicular to the new sunglasses. You know... with the glasses on, you can see the LCD perfectly, but no backlight. With the glasses off, the nice blue backlight is perfect. D'oh!

I felt a little dumb after that one, but happy that I didn't need a replacement LCD. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don't feel bad ...

... 'cuz I'm not sure most people are 100% sure what polarizing is, what it's for, how it works, and when it's beneficial (or detrimental) to have it.

Useful discussion!

·
7,733 Posts
Have you noticed how wearing polarised shades while looking through a UV coated visor turns some surfaces iridescent? I really dislike that. Can be distracting.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Made the mistake of wearing polarized in the airplane....once!
Thought I was back at a Grateful Dead show:D

·
Administrator
12,442 Posts
I avoid polarized eyewear for any driving or riding. Fine for boating and outdoor sports but otherwise not a great thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts