Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Funny thing happened at the BikeShow

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  sblea 
#1 · (Edited)
Funny thing happened at the Albuquerque BikeShow

....so i decided to enter my Ducati 998 Matrix in the 3rd Annual Albuquerque, NM Bike SuperShow this past weekend. Thought I might meet cool people, hot chicks and generally hang out.

Well, it took all afternoon Friday and the judges could not decide what category to put the bike in... Saturday afternoon, the judges finally put me in the general "sport bike" group along with 4 other bikes.

I spend most of the time at the bike show educating at least 80% of the people that stopped by... I had one old harley guy (u could tell he had been riding since 1968) ask me if Ducati was a new company making bikes!!! I had to explain that they started in 1926 and are almost as old as Harley-Davidson! A few people did not know what country they where made in. I didn't think people here in Abq,NM where so ignorant.

Where it gets interesting is when the judges voted... I walked around and saw the other 4 bikes:

1996 Suzuki 750 w/race decals
1993 Kawasaki ZX-11 w/chrome and lime green paint
2004 Yamaha R1 w/custom flame paint

Nothing special about these bikes. So the trophy time came around and it turned out my bike finished LAST!!! WOW!!! I don't think these judges could spell Ducati if it was not on the fairings!!!

1st Place 1993 Kawasaki
2nd Place 2004 Yamaha R1
3rd Place 1996 Suzuki 750
4th Place Ducati 998

To add insult to injury, I didn't even get to meet any women... Man this city sucks for singles! The whole weekend was a complete disaster!!!

Anyways, here are a few pics of last place bike....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, don't feel too bad. Think of it this way- you helped introduce some people to Ducati, and that's a good thing.

By the way, is the graphics on your helmet one of the "Twins" from Matrix Reloaded?

Cause that's pretty sick man- I dig the tie in with the movie. Your Duc's a winner in my book. See next year you just need Trinity to sit on it, and then it's all good ;)

#3 ·
Thanks Red Rider....

Yeah, I decided to use a picture of agent smith and give him a sentinal like look. I found a picture of the "Twins" and we decided to use the tenticals coming from their head... Also got the front of the helmet painted with "Matrix Reloaded" and chinese symbols coming down from the back of the helmet.

#6 ·
If it was a Ducati Red you would of gotten 1st place.

#7 ·
I think GusGus is close.. I highly suspect they did not realise that you were NOT an overboard Matrix fan, that Ducati released that as a special LE model. Nice bike and great helmet. It's no consolation but we would have put yours first and daylight second, next bike would have been 5th!!!, then the rest.

Mal

#8 ·
Dude I feel your pain about about the bike finishing last. It is hard to believe how back woods a city of 700K + could really be. I ride around town on mine and get the same thing who makes it, is it a new company, and it is way out there. Was the show as small as last year? I spent twelve bucks on what I thought was to be a blow out show and it was all in one building.

#10 ·
You was robbed!

Yeah, I was at the show and stopped to shoot the breeze. I'll never go to another " custom bike show" again. Ok, the big stretched out, whiz bang paint jobs may pass for someone's idea of art, but,hey, the mona Lisa didn't handle for shit either. There's not a bike out there that I don't like on some level, but I like linear power and handling and after riding all sorts of machines over the years, I feel that these Ducati bikes are sweet science.

#11 ·
I went last year, and I was the only sport bike in the show. It was definitely bigger this year... They had 3 buildings, along with Mat Hotch's bikes, plus Discovery channel was filming the 1st episode of the new season of Biker Build-Off on Saturday... They had a good turnout in terms of crowd.

gunner999 said:
Dude I feel your pain about about the bike finishing last. It is hard to believe how back woods a city of 700K + could really be. I ride around town on mine and get the same thing who makes it, is it a new company, and it is way out there. Was the show as small as last year? I spent twelve bucks on what I thought was to be a blow out show and it was all in one building.

#12 ·
waltman said:
Should've got a life size cardboard pix of Keanu next to it :D
Not Keanu -- Carrie Ann Moss in a leather cat suit. Prrrrrrr! :D :D

#13 ·
I might go next year, but first I would like to know if there are any sportbike intelligent people on the judges pannel? If not ask to be one or get one of the local sportbike dealers to be a judge(perferably PJ)

#16 ·
I think I must have educated about 80% of the population over the weekend. Theres a few thousand people that know about Ducatis now. Next year lets see if we can get a 999r, a monster and sports classic (anybody have a Paul Smart replica?) at the show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.