Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Ducati ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My ST2 came to me with bar risers that are quite high for my long arms. I'm 6'2" and have disproportionate, comically long arms that make buying jackets and shirts a real event.....
This bike is new to me last fall, and is a new ownership experience. I'm used to wrenching on my '71 Honda CB500 (on which I installed CB400F bars and love the riding position) so please bear with me as I'm unfamiliar with modern (yeah yeah 22 years old...) style clip ons and bars.

Anyway, the P.O. gave me a bunch of old parts, including some other risers, and I'm sorting through them trying to find the best fit.
Here is the set that's currently installed:

They say "Cyclecat" on them and are nicely made, but are a little too close for me. It's hard to see here, but the PO also added a home made nylon spacer about 5/8" thick to raise them even more. I took those out but still think the bars are high.

So, here is what the PO gave me, and what I have to work with:

The ones on the right are Tarrozi, and I have only one of that piece in the middle. The tarrozi clip ons as shown here seem to be about the same height as the cyclecat set that's on there now. If I had another one of those shorter brackets like the one in the middle, I'd try it.
The set on the left, is that the stock set? I put one on and it doesn't seem a lot lower but is further forward and feels a bit better.

I mocked one up, does it look right, with the preload adjuster exposed?

If I have that one on the right installed correctly, I might go ahead and install the controls on that set. I think it will work.

Also, could you all give me a primer on the preload adjusters? With the cyclecat or tarrozi risers there's that blue piece with the hex head. Would I have to take the riser off to change the preload?

Thanks again for bearing with me!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, the right hand one is the original type and you have it installed correctly. It is handy to be able to access the preload and rebound clicker (center screw) but once you find your preferred settings you may not change them that often. The spacer the previous owner made was a common thing to do - people tried various thicknesses. I also made some aluminium ones but instead of keeping the holes and thus angles the same, I made mine with an offset that allowed me to swing the bar ends forward. This makes it quite a stretch over the tank ( I am not a tall person) but combined with lowered foot pegs gives a spacious lean forward type feel that I find comfortable. I ride on lots of tight twisty backroads and the forward bar position feels good when flicking from corner to corner.
The switchgear just hits the fairing cutouts on full lock.

bar spacer1.jpg

bar spacer2.jpg

·
Mr Leakered
8,901 Posts
My ST2 came to me with bar risers that are quite high for my long arms. I'm 6'2" and have disproportionate, comically long arms that make buying jackets and shirts a real event.....
This bike is new to me last fall, and is a new ownership experience. I'm used to wrenching on my '71 Honda CB500 (on which I installed CB400F bars and love the riding position) so please bear with me as I'm unfamiliar with modern (yeah yeah 22 years old...) style clip ons and bars.

Anyway, the P.O. gave me a bunch of old parts, including some other risers, and I'm sorting through them trying to find the best fit.
Here is the set that's currently installed:

They say "Cyclecat" on them and are nicely made, but are a little too close for me. It's hard to see here, but the PO also added a home made nylon spacer about 5/8" thick to raise them even more. I took those out but still think the bars are high.

So, here is what the PO gave me, and what I have to work with:

The ones on the right are Tarrozi, and I have only one of that piece in the middle. The tarrozi clip ons as shown here seem to be about the same height as the cyclecat set that's on there now. If I had another one of those shorter brackets like the one in the middle, I'd try it.
The set on the left, is that the stock set? I put one on and it doesn't seem a lot lower but is further forward and feels a bit better.

I mocked one up, does it look right, with the preload adjuster exposed?

If I have that one on the right installed correctly, I might go ahead and install the controls on that set. I think it will work.

Also, could you all give me a primer on the preload adjusters? With the cyclecat or tarrozi risers there's that blue piece with the hex head. Would I have to take the riser off to change the preload?

Thanks again for bearing with me!
You can get to the adjusters on the Cycle Cats by removing that blue cover. It is decorative only.

As noted by @wolfie109 , the Cycle Cats were installed backwards. Here's an old pic of mine:

If you do decide to part with them, they are highly coveted.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1998 Ducati ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your tips everyone!
I took off the previous owner's Cycle Cat setup and tried the Tarozzi clip ons, using the riser plate adapter things that bolt on the triple clamp. It took some fiddling to get them in the right position without hitting anything, and in the end I was fairly happy with the ergonomics. With this Tarozzi setup it felt almost like a low handlebar. But, I couldn't turn as sharply as they would bump the tank, so driveway maneuvers were awkward to say the least.

So I went back and sorted through all the bits, and decided to try the cycle cats the right way around. Well, this didn't look like it was going to work either, as the master cylinders would bump the fairings. My Cycle cats are a different angle than the ones pictured above by tonered.

Finally I took all that off and reinstalled the stock handlebars, and am quite happy with them! At 6'2", the reach feels just right. Recently I had ridden a 4th Gen VFR750, and felt there was too much pressure on the wrists. So I had assumed the stock ST2 bars would be about the same. Either I'm remembering wrong or the ST2 bars are slightly higher. Anyway they feel great!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I raised my bars a half inch with nuts and bolts and wouldn't mind a bit more. Do the cycle cats keep the brake reservoir from hitting the fairing? And the brake/clutch cable is maxed out, can those be rerouted or are we talking new ones?

·
Registered
1998 Ducati ST2
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I raised my bars a half inch with nuts and bolts and wouldn't mind a bit more. Do the cycle cats keep the brake reservoir from hitting the fairing? And the brake/clutch cable is maxed out, can those be rerouted or are we talking new ones?
The previous owner had these Cycle Cats turned around and with 5/8” spacers under the riser plates, and in that configuration nothing bumped. He did install SS hoses that are slightly longer. I shared a picture of this configuration in the top post.

I don’t know enough about the Cycle Cats, not sure how they’re supposed to be configured. But I couldn’t get them to mount the “right” way, or there wouldn’t be room for the brake and clutch reservoirs. Maybe this particular set is meant to be installed under the top triple, directly on the forks.

·
Mr Leakered
8,901 Posts
The previous owner had these Cycle Cats turned around and with 5/8” spacers under the riser plates, and in that configuration nothing bumped. He did install SS hoses that are slightly longer. I shared a picture of this configuration in the top post.

I don’t know enough about the Cycle Cats, not sure how they’re supposed to be configured. But I couldn’t get them to mount the “right” way, or there wouldn’t be room for the brake and clutch reservoirs. Maybe this particular set is meant to be installed under the top triple, directly on the forks.
I believe the earlier STs had the integrated reservoirs. That changed to the remote reservoirs in 1999 or 2000, I think. There, they can be positioned out of the way. My current setup has 996 masters with the same, reused reservoirs.

My set of CCs were installed incorrectly with the reservoirs positioned on the outside of the fairing. The brackets still hit the uprights. This can sort of be seen in the pic below just after I bought it. I cut and reshaped the brackets to fit properly. I also removed the 1in matching spacers later on because they sat me too far up and back.

Funnier, the pins in the rear sets were clocked at different positions left and right also. Low marks for that shop.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Here is my set up. I had installed radial master cylinders to get the clearance. My goal is to cut 3/4" off these bars and it should be about as good as it gets

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Here is my set up. I had installed radial master cylinders to get the clearance. My goal is to cut 3/4" off these bars and it should be about as good as it gets.
I did that to my airhead beemer. I installed a RS fairing but the bars were a killer. Went to the S bars, about three inches taller, but needed to trim about an inch off the bars to fit inside the cockpit.

What windshield is that? Does it control buffeting?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I did that to my airhead beemer. I installed a RS fairing but the bars were a killer. Went to the S bars, about three inches taller, but needed to trim about an inch off the bars to fit inside the cockpit.

What windshield is that? Does it control buffeting?
The main screen is one of the many aftermarket sheilds that were available back in the day, don't recall the brand. The Laminar Lip that I installed is a work in progress. I'm 6'3" and long waisted so buffeting is just a way of life for me, but I keep tinkering with the position hoping one day to find nirvana.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I had a Laminar Lip on my RS fairing. Buffeting right around the ears. I had the windshield off for reasons I can't remember and went for a ride ...clean air! So I cut two inches off the windshield and was happy, wished I had done it in the beginning but who knew.

·
Registered
242 Posts
At 6'1", I ride with the stock bars on my ST2 (2000 with the remote reservoir). I find it very comfortable, although, I wouldn't mind if they were a touch higher and at a slightly different angle. I haven't experimented with any different risers mainly because I have clearance issues with the stock set up and am worried about making it worse.

·
Mr Leakered
8,901 Posts
Addressed to Tonered
They are CycleCats also and have been out of production for at least 6yrs. The bike was ergo modded to the teeth when I got it in 2008, but the engine and such was 100% stock.

The machining work and anodize is top notch. The stuff still shines after more abuse than they deserve.

If the ST gives up the ghost, the part out will be fun.

Have a good one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts