Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just picked up a Bostrom 998s, I thought I'd get out my Longacre scales (advertised +/- 1% accuracy) and see what "real world" motorcycles weigh.

These are average bikes...all stock except for Termi slip-ons and maybe some levers and other non-weight issue items. Street tires and full street gear w/ OEM tool kits.

I did drain the fuel tanks dry before weighing.

1995 916, 435 lbs
2002 748s, 433 lbs
2002 998s Boz, 422 lbs

For comparison, I did one Bimota. DB4's have 900ss powerplants. (The Corse has a Ti muffler, Kehins and K&N's)

Bimota DB4 Corse, 357 lbs

Just fun info for all.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, to be fair it's an air cooled 2 valver....and down almost 50 hp from the Boz....but it is a suh-wheet street ride, that's for sure!

·
Registered
334 Posts
What model Longacre scale did you use? i went to there web site, and i didn't see anything for motorcycles? please post a pic of your set - up!

thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tye, you're only about 15 miles from me, and you're welcome to borrow them sometime. Even you could be trained in their use within a couple hours....I think.

Scales> These are a 4 pc. set (don't remember the #) for racecars (another huge money hole that I'm deeply into).

Normally they're installed in a 4 pad leveling platform for adjusting corner weights and other suspension setup mods. For weighing the bikes I just set them out on the shop floor and made some crude ramps with blocks of wood to get the bikes on 'em.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
thx's for the set up info!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
do those scales give you weight bias as well? i'm particularly interested in the 916 of course but they'd all be interesting to know.

i was tempted to ask the value of your scales but i'm sure they'll be too expensive for me, i'm thinking of getting a couple of bathroom scales to weigh mine :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could have written down the F/R weights, but as this wasn't a really serious setup situation & just for personal knowledge, I didn't make any effort to level the scales. Therefor any F/R weights would have been suspect. Because of this, I honestly didn't even glance at the individual weight readouts, just the total.

These scales are expensive (around $1300 or so when I bought 'em), but they are accurate and absolutely essential for serious racecar setup. The aluminum setup pad is additional $2-3k, depending on brand/style/car weight.

Bathroom scales can actually be pretty accurate. You could check 'em with a known weight (if you have any bar bells etc) before putting faith into them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm sure most households have three bathroom scales as it is. Just set up a small ramp upto each one under the wheels and then the kickstand too.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
thanks Bruce for posting, gives me a starting point, i'm hoping mine comes in a couple of pounds under :)

hehe no scales here except a small set for weighing parts of course, i'll have to go out and get a couple, i was thinking of one under each wheel and then just balance the bike and take the readings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts