Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is kind of a noob question but no one can really give me a good answer so I figured this is the best place to ask.

If I am in the wrong spot to ask, sorry, just move me :)

I have a 09 M1100. I know that my check engine light comes on due to some issue with the exhaust vaulve spring. I have had it replaced and adjusted a few times.

I was told that getting a new exhaust, Termignoni to be exact would fix that.

So I have the question of, do I need a full or slip on and what is the beinifits of either?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
The slip-on option is gonna be cheaper, and will probably flow better than the standard mufflers... BUT - the full system flows MUCH better than the standard headers. I went with a Sil Moto Italia full system when I upgraded my 900...

However, if you're going to go that path, you may also want to consider a set of 41mm Keihin FCR carbs - that's if yours has carbs...? Otherwise you'll need a powercommander or chip for the ECU.

One of these cases where you should balance both the intake and exhaust improvements.

Here's a pic of the two systems...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go full, its a drastic change, u will not regret it. The 1st time i got on after the full system upgrade (pipes, ECU, air filter) i was like WTF!! This is now a true MONSTER!!
Yes it is pricey, around 3k plus installation, but worth every hard earned penny!!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for all that info.

So slip ons are just canisters for sound... do they come with ECU's too?

To get the full effect though pay for the big stuff... I think thats what I wanted to do anyways... Just wanted to know if the extra money was worth it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two versions?

So I wrote Ducati Bad Kreutznach, one of my local shops and asked what the price was. The reply I got back was, do you want the legal or the race.

Anyone know the db spec's on these? I had no idea there were two versions.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I would think it's the same db along any line of aftermarket Ducati exhaust --102dbs.
If you can afford the full then buy that, if not then buy the slip. With each kit you'll get a new ECU, air filter, some carbon bits. I would tend to agree that a new ECU could solve some of your tuning issue's. I was running a Termignoni slip on exhaust kit ( muffler, ECU, filters, etc.) on my 999 and it suffered from stalling and sneezing. When I replaced the slip with a Termignoni full exhaust kit, the stalling and sneezing issue's disappeared. Even adding a PCIII to the slip on kit didn't solve the stall/sneezing problem, but the new full system ECU did.
You might find the slip ECU straightens things out w/o going for the pricey full system. The mapping/tuning procedures are far superior then they were in 2003-2004.

·
Temporary greeter
23,095 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on the M1100, but the DP ECU that comes with the Termi kits should get rid of that check engine light for the exhaust flap. It will leave it wide open and disable the motor.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So a couple of things for M1100 owners from 09-10. Full Termi systems are no longer made and the only ones you can find now are residuals. I have found some great deals for them too... like installed for less then slip on's. I am working with a few differnet people to get the best deal.

I guess I found the best time to make this upgrade, thanks for all the advice.

Rich

·
Registered
30 Posts
For the 09-10 models, if u wanna get them, be prepared to call around and do it NOW!!! I had my shipped in from Erico Motorsports in Denver all the way to Qatar. No where in the middle east nor Italy or anywhere in Europe could i find it, tust me i called all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
So slip ons are just canisters for sound... do they come with ECU's too?
Not just for sound, the stock mufflers usually weigh quite a bit more. I have replaced the exhaust on 4 Ducatis and that fact is consistent. On the PS1000 the stock cans must have been lead-lined.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a great deal from Pro Italia they were helpful and the price was great!..

These full systems are getting far and few between... get em while you can!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts