Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok since it is fresh in my head. I always used Premium grade fuel until the last trip. Since I believe that's what Ducati recommends. I was told try using mid or low grade if it doesn't ping the engine, it should be better for performance. I'm not much of a techie!

So what type of fuel do you use and what is the philosophy behind it?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i just read a long as article that answered my question. hahaha it basically said yeah dont waste your money for premium grade full it doesnt make no difference at all. So since the octane rating on mine is Euro RON95 that makes it a US mid grade.

woot woot that saves me a total of 40 cents on a full tank fill up!

here is the thread

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=18855&highlight=fuel

·
Registered
307 Posts
Where is my damn manual?

I religiously use premium. I have a friend who would occasionally put avgas (aviation fuel) in his 900ss. If I remember correctly it is 100 octane low lead. He said it ran great, but I am not willing to grenade my engine. After reading the article Rob posted, I guess I'll have to pull out my manual.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wrong Wrong Wrong........

The ZX14 and Busa's make more power on 87--89 octane on Jerry's dyno........All higher octane does is slow your timing down,, ignition. Unless a guy has high compression etc and needs to slow the timing down--burn rate you will make more power with lower octane fuel. It ignites faster and will get your engine burning the fuel a little quicker. More octane on a stock bike will not give more power unless it is needed---your bike pings with the lower octane. My roadstar has patrick racing pistons, cams etc.........I have to run 93 octane in it. Wish I did not have to but it will ping with out 93. High octane on a stock vehicle is a waste of money..............Unless it is required. If your engine spark knocks you had better bump up the octane. Mine runs great on 87--89 octane. Most newer vehicles now with computors will since the higher octane our lower and change how the engine runs with it...............again no more power.............In the old days with just a carburator and no computor the octane either way would change how the engine ran...........All you are doing today unless needed is wasting money on high octane fuel.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, my manual said min. octane 95, which i guess is RON since everything else is Metric in the book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts