Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of three (3) different solutions to enrichening the fuel mixture by 'tricking' the ECU with modified sensor reading.

The first module I tried many years ago from a member on this board, was a FatDuc Manipulator. It's the smallest of the three with a single multi-pin plug terminated to a small encased circuit board with an user adjustable potentiometer. This module is installed by unplugging the O2 sensor and plugging in the module in it's place. The pot is adjusted to get the desired response. I have to say, it works quite well. I did experience the occasional popping on deceleration and rough idle in cold weather, but otherwise it worked as promised.

I experimented next with the Procom PowerJet, the orange credit card size controller with a rotary knob. It plugs in between the air temperature sensor (left side headlight bracket) and it's wiring harness. The knob is adjusted clockwise to add more fuel. It can be easily adjusted 'on the fly' if you can mount the controller in a convenient space. Like the FatDuc, it worked quite well smoothing the idle and improving cold starts. But it too needed to be adjusted for extreme weather temps.

Lastly, the BoosterPlug is a very small box with three (3) leads: two (2) leads are for plugging in between the Air Temp Sensor and it's wire harness just like the Procom. The third lead is terminated to it's own Air Temp Sensor, a little smaller than a cigarette. The new sensor is zip-tied away in a low air pressure area unaffected by engine/exhaust heat and/or direct sun light. Behind the headlight is perfect. The second Air Temp Sensor in conjunction with the original, 'tricks' the ECU into thinking the outside air temperature is lower than it really is, and hence, the ECU automatically adds more fuel up to 6% more. BoosterPlug claims that their system mantains that extra 6% enrichment throughout the wide ambient temperature range you're likely to encounter on the road.

/M

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't want tells sound negative but none of those things are good.

To start with if you manipulate the temp to give the engine lets say 6% more fuel it will give the engine 6% more fuel everywhere.

It is never that easy as the fuel requirement are totally different at different RPM and TPS settings. At many RPM/TPS positions you might need to reduce the fuel.

On top of that your lambda will compensate for what you have just been manipulating at the low power range.

The only way to successfully improve your bike as by a full remap and preferable disable the Lambda at the same time.

Anything else is just to hide the initial problem by throwing on to much fuel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts