Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This worked for me so I thought I'd pass it on. My tank had some rust in it from sitting for years with old fuel. It was structurally sound and wasn't leaking. I used a non-toxic liquid called Metal Rescue to remove the rust. Procedure was:

1. Filled tank with 100 drywall screws and shook around for a while to loosen up and remove surface rust. This step wasn't necessary but I figured what ever I got out this way would make it easier on the chemical.

2. Plugged all holes i tank with duct tape and filled tank with one gallon ZEP Citrus Degreaser from Home Depot, full strength. Careful to rinse any spillage from tank as the label says not to use on paint. Plugged top of tank with plumbing stopper and let sit for one hour on a side. Rotating each hour to ensure all surfaces degreased. Drain and rinse thoroughly with water. This removed the old fuel residue.

3. Fill tank to top with Metal Rescue. I bought a 5 gal pail from Amazon for about $90 free shipping, but some Home Depot stores have gallon jugs for $25. Instructions mention possible issues with red paint as the stuff attacks iron oxide which is present in some red paints. I tested it on the underside of the tank with no issues, but still rinsed any drops / spillage off the tank just in case. Left it in for 24 hours. Needs to be kept at 68 deg or warmer.

4. Drain the fluid. Instructions say it can go directly in sewer as it is non toxic. I drained it back into the pail as it can be reused up to 1 year or until it turns black.

5. Swished some Dry Coat rust inhibitor from the same manufacturer in the tank and drained.

Tank is now rust free. Don't know what the stuff is made of but it works. Also don't know what would happen with a heavily rusted tank, and obviously if it leaks the holes have to be sealed or welded. What I liked about this solution is that the tank is rust free, stuff didn't hurt the paint, and unlike POR or other sealants this can be done again if there are any issues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This sounds like a great solution for those of us with surface rust who aren't leaking yet! Thanks for the tip. Any ideas how to prevent rust from forming again? I suppose climate conrolled storage helps etc. ;-)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I opted to go with the POR 15 epoxy system. Following directions, done correctly....its permanent. it'll never rust. Not in my lifetime at least. Very effective, impressive stuff.

I've got before/ after photos somewhere...i'll post when i can find.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I considered using POR, but figured I would risk either damaging paint on tank with the prep chemicals or would screw up the sealing process and create a mess. Also i was unsure how it would work with the plumbing in the tank. As far as preventing rust, I'm not sure it is possible but can be minimized by not leaving six year old gas in the tank like I did. I'll probably be using Stabil in the future as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Paint damage does not automatically accompany the use of POR, provided care, common sense and directions are followed.

The POR will never prevent fuel drop out, but rust is a thing of the past. I was so impressed, I treated my VFR tank as well. And still use Stabil over winter storage.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't mean that using POR lead to paint damage, only MY likelihood of using POR causing paint damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts