Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any experience with repainting the fuel tank on their bikes? If so what were the prices like?

In addition, can anyone recommend a place in the Bay Area?

Cheers,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a GT tank painted a couple of years ago. I think I paid about $300 for one solid color. I provided the decals. They had no issues whatsoever with the nylon tank or decals. They paint plastic car parts all the time.

·
Bon Vivant
11,454 Posts
I used to paint an entire car for $300. Today the materials alone would be well over $300 for a motorcycle tank. If I was doing it, it would probably run between $600 and $1000 depending on the color and decals, designs etc. And no painting plastic is not a problem, bodyshops do it every day.

Sorry I dont know anybody in your area.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a GT tank painted a couple of years ago. I think I paid about $300 for one solid color. I provided the decals. They had no issues whatsoever with the nylon tank or decals. They paint plastic car parts all the time.

What was the finished work like? Did you have it done in California?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mike,

I live here in San Jose and recently had my fairing, rear cowl and mirrors painted on my red 1000s. I can't tell you how much a tank would be but I spent about $1800. Dell Auto in Campbell did the work and could only speak highly of their work and quality. They came from several recommendations one of which is a shop near my house that specializes in Ferrari and Lamborghini. DM me later this week as I'm out of town for the holiday weekend.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
420 Posts
It turned out beautiful. The painter I used is in CT. I bring work to him somewhat regularly, always with the understanding that I'll be a fill in job between his big jobs. I also either bring beer or donuts (depending on the time of day) for the crew whenever I stop by.

·
Registered
496 Posts
What I would recommend is doing all the prep work yourself, and I mean ALL. Remove the decals, all the bolt on accessories like the fuel pump etc and prep the damage/bad paint yourself. Then ask the selected shop what fillers/primers they use for plastic and do the fix and the priming. A cheap Craftsman gun can be used for the priming which will probably be epoxy. A quart kit of epoxy is probably 80-100. Then sand it all with good 3m wet/dry paper starting with 220 and up to 600-1000. Another 50 including fillers. Get some good 3m green body tape and tape off the areas you don't want painted. Wipe it down with grease remover, put it in a giant plastic bag and have the shop shoot it with the color that you also bought. Probably an hour or two max for them to rewipe it and paint it. I bet this all up would cost no more than $300. Most of the cost of a paint job - like 90% - is the prep.

Just did the same on my Honda S90 and it came out very nice.

Attachments

Reactions: tomf

·
Registered
496 Posts
Oh, I forgot. For them to shoot both the red and silver parts was $300. I presented all the parts - and there were many - as I described above and handed them the paint.

·
Registered
959 Posts
For what it's worth....I use a guy in the Atlanta area that does paint work for BMW-Ducati of Atlanta. He does excellent work and so far, at a very reasonable price. I haven't had my entire tank sprayed but on a spare Paul Smart tank I have, I had him repaint the bottom part that is black that had a few scratches on it. He only charged me $40. For a fender off of a 916 that I had painted in the silver color for my Paul Smart he only charged $70. Pretty much a perfect match. I think there are painters out there that charge a small fortune but if you look/ask around, especially with motorcycle shops in the area you can find painters that do a great job for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a caswell coated + primed tank from JC and then painted here in Seattle. It turned out great for me and I'm happy about it. I paid about $500 for the paint job (if I recall right).
Nice, how much did the caswell coated and primed tank set you back?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike,

I live here in San Jose and recently had my fairing, rear cowl and mirrors painted on my red 1000s. I can't tell you how much a tank would be but I spent about $1800. Dell Auto in Campbell did the work and could only speak highly of their work and quality. They came from several recommendations one of which is a shop near my house that specializes in Ferrari and Lamborghini. DM me later this week as I'm out of town for the holiday weekend.

Cheers,
Mike
Hey Motokiter,

That sounds pricey, but I'm sure the results were awesome. I got a quote for $350 at a place near Sacramento. I may just take it there but I'll give Dell Auto a call and try to get a quote. Thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For what it's worth....I use a guy in the Atlanta area that does paint work for BMW-Ducati of Atlanta. He does excellent work and so far, at a very reasonable price. I haven't had my entire tank sprayed but on a spare Paul Smart tank I have, I had him repaint the bottom part that is black that had a few scratches on it. He only charged me $40. For a fender off of a 916 that I had painted in the silver color for my Paul Smart he only charged $70. Pretty much a perfect match. I think there are painters out there that charge a small fortune but if you look/ask around, especially with motorcycle shops in the area you can find painters that do a great job for a reasonable price.
Omg, that's cheap! So far I got a quote for $350-$400 for just the tank. I'll keep looking, thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sounds about the same as what I got quoted for. I got the decals ordered just in case. Thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used to paint an entire car for $300. Today the materials alone would be well over $300 for a motorcycle tank. If I was doing it, it would probably run between $600 and $1000 depending on the color and decals, designs etc. And no painting plastic is not a problem, bodyshops do it every day.

Sorry I dont know anybody in your area.
I didn't think it would cost so much being such a small thing, but clearly I'm wrong. :(

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It turned out beautiful. The painter I used is in CT. I bring work to him somewhat regularly, always with the understanding that I'll be a fill in job between his big jobs. I also either bring beer or donuts (depending on the time of day) for the crew whenever I stop by.
Haha, beer and donuts do wonders :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I would recommend is doing all the prep work yourself, and I mean ALL. Remove the decals, all the bolt on accessories like the fuel pump etc and prep the damage/bad paint yourself. Then ask the selected shop what fillers/primers they use for plastic and do the fix and the priming. A cheap Craftsman gun can be used for the priming which will probably be epoxy. A quart kit of epoxy is probably 80-100. Then sand it all with good 3m wet/dry paper starting with 220 and up to 600-1000. Another 50 including fillers. Get some good 3m green body tape and tape off the areas you don't want painted. Wipe it down with grease remover, put it in a giant plastic bag and have the shop shoot it with the color that you also bought. Probably an hour or two max for them to rewipe it and paint it. I bet this all up would cost no more than $300. Most of the cost of a paint job - like 90% - is the prep.

Just did the same on my Honda S90 and it came out very nice.
That sounds like a fun project to do, but unfortunately I live in a one bedroom apartment with no garage lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts