Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Need to remove the fuel tank on my 851, and can't seem to find any tutorials online.

Can anyone give me some tips on removing it? It doesn't hinge like the later bikes, and I don't want to get myself into a pickle by going in blind.

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I removed the 3 bolts. I'm just afraid to raise it too much, as there's still some fuel in the tank and I don't want to inadvertently pull a line loose. Looks like there's an evap/breather line, and perhaps 2 fuel related lines, based on some of the diagrams I've looked at.

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
Likely a evap line
fuel feed line
fuel return line
cap drain.

Pay attention to what goes where as you have a regulator at the injectors you do not want the feed and return swapped. If you no longer (or never did) have a charcoal can then both cap drain and evap goes overboard.
If you have concerns with the weight with fuel simplysiphon it out first.

Yes you have the cooler aluminum tank, Us less cool people with steel tanks enjoy our pivoting fuel tanks...lol

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
A) you won't 'pull a line loose' because...
B) what belter said. unless...
C) they're dry-rotted and simply tear (unlikely, regardless). if you don't know their age, change them now.
D) much easier if you have someone to hold the tank while you fiddle with hoses.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually progressively raised the tank on small wooden blocks at the 3 mounting points. Looks like I won't need to remove the tank completely, as I have enough room to get to the spark plug now in the rear cylinder. She's getting "pickled" for a nice, long nap in my office.:)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
if you're not cussin' and cuttin' (hoses, skin, etc) you're not doing it right.

i put longer hoses on mine and some metal cpc quick release fittings outside the frame. much easier.

one of those carbon tanks with the fittings on the low point would be the go. i had one once, but sold all that stuff off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
metal cpc quick release fittings
The quick release fittings are an awesome idea! My fuel lines both run right behind the frame, and I have plenty of hose to work with. Being able to disconnect them without pulling them from the tank would be amazing! Can you let me know which specific fittings you used? Can they be put inline?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
There are two types of plastic QD: leaking and going-to-be-leaking.
Years ago I had a Mille where a hairline crack formed in the fitting and it would wet with gas. By the time I got everything off it had evaporated, took a little head scratching for that.
I had used plastic QD (w/shutoffs) on my 851 for many years. Just last week I ordered nickel-plated brass QD for it with shutoffs because a hairline crack had formed at it was wetting with gas.
Referred back to my old thread on speed zilla for the part numbers.

What I have done with the 851 is use two colors of zip ties on the lines (also have extra length as advised) to keep the two circuits straight. I used external 1/4 fuel line for year with no issues, the clear PE lines turn rock hard in time.

Gates makes the internal tank lines in 12 inch lengths. They are expensive but you only need to change them every decade or so.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
if you use the inline qd then fit one reversed to the other. can't mix them up.

you can get the gates submersible sae r10 fuel hose in longer lengths than the 1 foot often quoted. it also comes in a 10 foot roll.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
There are two types of plastic QD: leaking and going-to-be-leaking.
Years ago I had a Mille where a hairline crack formed in the fitting and it would wet with gas. By the time I got everything off it had evaporated, took a little head scratching for that.
I had used plastic QD (w/shutoffs) on my 851 for many years. Just last week I ordered nickel-plated brass QD for it with shutoffs because a hairline crack had formed at it was wetting with gas.
Referred back to my old thread on speed zilla for the part numbers.

What I have done with the 851 is use two colors of zip ties on the lines (also have extra length as advised) to keep the two circuits straight. I used external 1/4 fuel line for year with no issues, the clear PE lines turn rock hard in time.

Gates makes the internal tank lines in 12 inch lengths. They are expensive but you only need to change them every decade or so.
BTW, I screwed up and ordered the 1/4" QD, which was the same as my Aprilia unless McMaster Carr has changed part w/ part number which I doubt.. I did the fuel lines on both bikes years ago at the same time, but when I tried installing the metal replacements were noticeably smaller than the ones on the 815 I removed. 851 takes an 8mm (5/16"), not 1/4".

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If I was going to put an 851 in my office, I'd make sure the tank was absolutely clean and dry first so lines and QR fittings would be moot. Why bother installing them on a bike that isn't going to see use for months/years? All they're doing is aging as it sits there.

I had a 907ie that sat for a lot longer than originally intended. The new belts and tires I put on it before it got put in storage were suspect at best when it finally saw the light of day again. Fuel lines were shot too but they hadn't been replaced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts