Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time i open the fuel filler on my mts1100s I get am big puff of air. I assume that this is not normal. Has anyone else experienced this on the older multis and if so what was the fix?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Is this on the 2009 or the 2010?
Guessing would be a pinched hose???? Or a faulty gas cap???
I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in

·
Registered
19 Posts
Every time i open the fuel filler on my mts1100s I get am big puff of air. I assume that this is not normal. Has anyone else experienced this on the older multis and if so what was the fix?

This same event happens on my 2011 MTS ABS. Sometimes there is an obvious "woosh" of air, and other times not as much ?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Never had that happen on any of my bikes that I can recall. The tank is vented, maybe the vent through the filler cap is blocked or clogged??

·
Registered
750 Posts
This same event happens on my 2011 MTS ABS. Sometimes there is an obvious "woosh" of air, and other times not as much ?
Have you done a canisterectomy? If not, you may want to check your canister as it may be plugged up with something, or since it's somewhat erratic, maybe gas is filling it some times and not others. This can happen if you overfill your tank (i.e. putting fuel in past the lower end of the neck of the filler opening).

In any case, both for your bike and the OP's, a whoosh of air when you open the cap is a sign if a plugged vent hose. On the 1200, the vent hose(s) are connected to the bottom of the cap and route forward under the tank cover. They are easily pinched if you muck with them and aren't diligent about ensuring they aren't pinched anywhere when you put the tank cover back on. DAMHIK..... :eek:

-SM

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
So you should be able to crawl on your belly like a reptile and blow into the ends of the hoses ,they should be clear???:think:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you done a canisterectomy? If not, you may want to check your canister as it may be plugged up with something, or since it's somewhat erratic, maybe gas is filling it some times and not others. This can happen if you overfill your tank (i.e. putting fuel in past the lower end of the neck of the filler opening).

In any case, both for your bike and the OP's, a whoosh of air when you open the cap is a sign if a plugged vent hose. On the 1200, the vent hose(s) are connected to the bottom of the cap and route forward under the tank cover. They are easily pinched if you muck with them and aren't diligent about ensuring they aren't pinched anywhere when you put the tank cover back on. DAMHIK..... :eek:

-SM
I still have that damn canister. I guess it is time for surgery !

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts

Might want to check the tank vent under the passenger seat. The float valves in them have been known to get stuck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this on the 2009 or the 2010?
Guessing would be a pinched hose???? Or a faulty gas cap???
I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in
This is on the 09 mts1100

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I might be talking out of my a$$ hare since I have a 2012 but the same thing happened to mine so who knows, it could be the same thing!
If you take the gas cap off usually there is a check valve under the cap unit itself and a rubber grommet around it, directly under that there is a pin hole on the tank itself, that is the pressure relive hole, on my bike that was clogged and caused the woosh sound, that bc it couldn't relive the pressure.
You should have that or something like that, get a paper clip and make sure it's open, also if you have a air gun blow into the check valve from underneath when you take the cap off, one of the 2 doesn't seem to work properly I have the feeling.
Cheers!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I still have that damn canister. I guess it is time for surgery !
Not to get TOO far off topic, but I've had nothing but trouble with those damn things. The main issue is how everything is plumbed. Basically, any fuel that sloshes up and would run out of the vent hose instead gets sucked (via vacuum from the throttle bodies and a 1 way check valve) straight into the throttle body, causing surging. Here you have a finely tuned fuel injection system that is metering out fuel based on air temp, TPS position, and exhaust gas composition, then along comes a random amount of fuel at a random time into the mix. Stupid. :eek: This made my Guzzi buck so bad it was nearly unrideable in first gear at low throttle openings. Once I removed the canister, it was like a new bike. Also, they can get plugged up with excess fuel or other crud and cause tank pressure issues, similar to what the OP is experiencing. I realize they are there due to EPA laws and in theory are good for the environment, but until they are better designed and implemented, mine will continue to "fall off" my bike shortly after bringing it home. :D

-SM

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so I finally got around to removing the vent in the rear of the tank and when I pulled it out it came apart inside of the fuel tank. Luckily I was able to fish all the parts out I think. Correct me if I am wrong be there is a spring and a black float and then the white outer body that holds everything in place and all that connects to the vent system?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Same on my 09 1100s

I had the same defect but a different symptom. I could never get the gas tank full. Pulled out that float and it fell apart as I was pulling it out. The white outer body had never been fully snapped into the top part. I told my dealer about it and he said "huh".
I never had any more problems after I re-assembled it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts