Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, my fuel pump on my 95 916 failed to run and in talking with the local Ducati shop, they suggested taking the pump out and knocking it softly to get it unstuck. The suggestion worked and everything seemed fine with a partial tank of gas. However, after I filled the tank, on the ride home, gas started spilling out of the gas cap at a frightening rate. Having your crotch soaked with gas is unpleasant and rather frightening.

I’m finally getting around to trying to figure out what went wrong. Could I have switched the vent and overfill hoses and was that the cause? It wouldn’t seem that would make that big a difference. The vent hose goes from the left side spigot on the fuel pump base to the rearward vent hole in the gas cap surround, right? Anyways, anybody have any thoughts as to why this would have happened? Thanks.

·
Registered
913 Posts
This is a Supersport forum, which is what I have, so I can give you info for the Supersport and perhaps the 916 is the same. The fuel cap carrier for the Supersport has a drain hole that is meant to collect fuel that has spilled. A line is connected to it inside the tank that connects to a drain fitting on the inside bottom of the fuel tank. Another line is connected to the other side of that fitting on the bottom of the tank and drains the spilled fuel near a foot peg. If the line on the drain fitting on the fuel cap carrier is not connected, or is loose, then fuel will spill out around the fuel cap.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Yeah, so on the SS tank there are three places to hook a fuel line to. The first is pretty obvious, it's the one connected to the fuel pump and has the tap, this is the pressurized line to the carbs or injectors. The other two are plain barbed and identical to each other. One is for the return line from the carbs which drains to the interior of the tank, the other is for the fuel cap overflow, which should drain somewhere near your right foot.

If you hook these two up backwards, the pressurized fuel return from the carb will come out the gas cap drain hole and the tank will have a secondary internal vent.

In other words, what he ^^^ said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. This is helpful. Also, thanks for pointing out that I'm in the wrong forum!

·
Registered
913 Posts
You're not really in the "wrong" forum. This one has a lot of active participants who are probably fine with answering your question regardless. However, the information might not be completely applicable to your bike. Hope you get it figured out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts