Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1993 750SS
383 Posts
Resurrecting this thread...

I found some metric fuel line/hose locally that measures 7mm I.D. x 11mm O.D.

The stock stuff is 7mm I.D. x 13mm O.D.

Do I risk cracking the plastic connectors with clamps, if I go with the smaller size?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The ancient plastic connectors will break if you look at them wrong, I've found stainless steel ones on eBay to replace them, more U-shaped rather than Y for the return to tank line. They make brass ones too.
Is that the plastic connector you are concerned about? Or the one on the carbs or in the tank on the fuel pump and filter? In any case, the OD difference is not significant even if you are using the crimp type clamps properly applied with the special tool.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
383 Posts
Yes, the Y-connector is the one I'm most concerned about since it's unobtanium. And I'm planning on using those crimp type clamps, so I don't want to inadvertently crack anything. I just finished rebuilding the carbs, so I'm replacing the feed line that runs from the Y-connector to the T-connector between the carbs. I need to do a once over on all the hoses though, to see what needs replacing.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Depending on your routing plan, see if you can put a small clear fuel filter after the Y and maybe a shutoff valve too?

·
Registered
1993 750SS
383 Posts
I've seen a few guys do that mod, but I was reluctant to do it myself because I wanted to keep the bike looking original. But it is a good idea, and it beats raising the tank to turn off the fuel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the FCR41's and after an incident with a Kawasaki ZZR600 that dumped about 1.5 liters of fuel into the crankcase I installed this shutoff valve between the Y-junction and the carburetors. It's easy to reach and operate. In the "off" position here in the photo, rotated a quarter turn to be inline with the fuel lines is "on". It's stuck to the frame with a rectangular piece of rubber cushioning and ziptied in place. You'd never know it was there unless you looked down between the frame and right side fairing.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
On the positive side, running a few gallons of fuel through my crankcase made the shifting easier once I had changed the oil twice. Cleaned the insides very well.
A member here made up a 3D printer file to make a very sano looking clamp for the frame at that location and for the type of shutoff that skowinski shows in his pic.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
383 Posts
I have the FCR41's and after an incident with a Kawasaki ZZR600 that dumped about 1.5 liters of fuel into the crankcase I installed this shutoff valve between the Y-junction and the carburetors. It's easy to reach and operate. In the "off" position here in the photo, rotated a quarter turn to be inline with the fuel lines is "on". It's stuck to the frame with a rectangular piece of rubber cushioning and ziptied in place. You'd never know it was there unless you looked down between the frame and right side fairing.

View attachment 1009934
That valve blends in nicely. Is this the same one?

On the positive side, running a few gallons of fuel through my crankcase made the shifting easier once I had changed the oil twice. Cleaned the insides very well.
A member here made up a 3D printer file to make a very sano looking clamp for the frame at that location and for the type of shutoff that skowinski shows in his pic.
It looks like fuel may have gotten into my crankcase too. I need to drain it to be sure. You had to change yours twice and install the shutoff valve before the oil stayed clean?

I'll check out that 3D printer file 👍🏼

·
Registered
1993 750SS
383 Posts
@RockAZ

Is this what you were talking about?

·
Registered
1993 750SS
383 Posts
Cool. Looks the business. Would you mind sharing the .pdf?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It is a file to print on a 3d printer, do you have access to one?

PM mzrhayes on this forum, he made the original .stl file and there are some other details you need to know on how/what to print.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
383 Posts
It is a file to print on a 3d printer, do you have access to one?

PM mzrhayes on this forum, he made the original .stl file and there are some other details you need to know on how/what to print.
I would have to send it out for printing. I don't have one. Kind of just wanted to check out the plans.

I do have some aluminum sheet metal though, so I might just make a bracket similar to @rennsportmotorrad's.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The 20kb plans look like this:

01100111 00110001 00001111 00000101 010010000 10010011

Nothing to see without the 3D software, the post you linked has the 3D software view and a pic of one installed after printing.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
383 Posts
I was under the impression that the .pdf was a solidworks or revit drawing of the orthographic views with dimensions.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Well, it printed fine as a * .stl file, which requires a program to look at it.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
That valve blends in nicely. Is this the same one?

Actually I think that is the one. A buddy who owns a Beechcraft Baron directed me to that company years ago, they have all kinds of good stuff that transfers from aircraft to motorbikes.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm a pilot and the airplane part "surtax" is only slightly higher than the Ducati "surtax"....
But Aircraft Spruce does have a nice selection of goodies.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
383 Posts
They sure do. I went ahead and ordered a shutoff valve from those guys. So much for keeping the bike looking original 😎

But after hearing from you guys and seeing some of your setups - that look good - it only made sense.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts