Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Have you checked Festo for the fitting you need in the correct size ? We used to plumb whole assembly lines with that stuff.
I did! I couldn't find any that were larger. I found one that was smaller. Maybe I will contact them direct. The part is so right!

·
Registered
155 Posts
That looks really neat. Can't see the 'Y' fitting for the return pipe - have you positioned that inbetween tank outlet and the Pingle tap?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Thanks for the compliments Gents!

I used the Pingle fuel filter in lieu of the Y piece.

Will post some decent pics shortly:grin2:
Wow - yes, very nice job on that.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I am still geeking out on the Y fitting in our fuel delivery system. I found these parts that are suitable for the job and put them in my future projects box. About 40 bucks for the setup. Billet aluminum "Y-Block" and 1/8 male NPT to 5/16 brass nipples.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here's a couple of y fittings on ebay and the shutoff valve that I used. The stainless Y is pricey but would be a cleaner and more compact installation than a billet block with 3 screw in fittings. Not sure if the plastic fitting would be compatible with gasoline. Lots of guys have used this shutoff valve and it is compact and good quality. I've always found zip ties to be a nice alternative to metal clamps on motorcycle fuel line, especially on barbed fittings.

5 16" Stainless Steel Barbed Y | eBay

Y Connector 5 16 in Barbed Kynar Y0 5 NK QC | eBay

12121 PUL 5 16" in Line Fuel Valve Shut Off Pet Cock 3 16" I D | eBay

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I ended up getting one of those SS versions of the Y fitting posted earlier so I though I would add some more details to this thread. You can see the three options I was working with here. I will probably use the SS one when I rebuild the final version of my fuel line.

I purchased some higher quality 7mm fuel line that is a much better product that actually gives me some other choices. Here is the good fuel line I found.

https://www.belmetric.com/rhm7-flen...zenid=o3e5dper60e4somff51acs5r15&cPath=14_662

With this hose I could actually use the blue Festo fitting too. It has a more snug fit over the barb which I think would allow it to seal but it is not a tight fit. The ebay 7mm hose I bought is not made to as high of a standard and wouldn't seal on that smaller barb so I started looking for other options. The SS one seems to be the best compromise and I won't have to worry about tugging and pulling on my fuel line like I do with my aging OEM plastic Y.

This higher quality fuel line stretches nicely over the 5/16's barb. I bought the fitting direct from United States Plastic Corp.

Stainless Steel Barbed Y | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I ended up getting one of those SS versions of the Y fitting posted earlier so I though I would add some more details to this thread. You can see the three options I was working with here. I will probably use the SS one when I rebuild the final version of my fuel line.

I purchased some higher quality 7mm fuel line that is a much better product that actually gives me some other choices. Here is the good fuel line I found.

https://www.belmetric.com/rhm7-flen...zenid=o3e5dper60e4somff51acs5r15&cPath=14_662

With this hose I could actually use the blue Festo fitting too. It has a more snug fit over the barb which I think would allow it to seal but it is not a tight fit. The ebay 7mm hose I bought is not made to as high of a standard and wouldn't seal on that smaller barb so I started looking for other options. The SS one seems to be the best compromise and I won't have to worry about tugging and pulling on my fuel line like I do with my aging OEM plastic Y.

This higher quality fuel line stretches nicely over the 5/16's barb. I bought the fitting direct from United States Plastic Corp.

Stainless Steel Barbed Y | U.S. Plastic Corp.
Interesting. I work in an industry that uses thousands of Festo fittings daily. I know they are chemical resistant, but they are known for being pneumatic fittings (and clean-room certified). I didn't know they were also doing fuel line fittings. Are you sure that it is rated for gasoline?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Interesting. I work in an industry that uses thousands of Festo fittings daily. I know they are chemical resistant, but they are known for being pneumatic fittings (and clean-room certified). I didn't know they were also doing fuel line fittings. Are you sure that it is rated for gasoline?
They are machined brass so I figure they are good. I got it off of a website as a fuel system component for jet engines for those spendy remote control jets!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Since I was into the carbs again I decided to build up the final version of the fuel line. I am very happy with this setup. I used the gold plated stainless steel Oetiker hose clamps and the SS Y that I mentioned earlier. I need to make the tank connections but here are are the bench shots.

Attachments

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,352 Posts
I like the job you did on those fuel lines Kevin.

In fact you did such a nice job that my stainless Y and inline fuel shutoff that Buffalo suggested are all set to ship out so you can take care of my fuel lines too. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I like the job you did on those fuel lines Kevin.

In fact you did such a nice job that my stainless Y and inline fuel shutoff that Buffalo suggested are all set to ship out so you can take care of my fuel lines too. :laugh:
Are you sure I am your man? I mean, I have 6 pages going here dedicated to a length of rubber hose! :wink2:

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,352 Posts
Are you sure I am your man?
I was just razzing you a bit about shipping my parts out Kevin,but yeah I'm absolutely sure.

You bought your bike from Bob knowing full well that these old 900"s often required special care and attention.
During your rebuild it was plain to see that you've been thoughtful,inquisitive,patient,careful,and paid attention to detail.
Most importantly though,you knew when to say "I don't know".

A smart man will look at something that he doesn't know and immediately admit that he doesn't know.

A stupid man will look at something that he doesn't know,take it apart and f*ck with it for an hour and break it,and then admit that he doesn't know.

Obviously I'll be assembling my fuel lines myself but if I ever needed that done I'd have no problems letting you take care of that for me. As I said,I liked the job you did.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I was just razzing you a bit about shipping my parts out Kevin,but yeah I'm absolutely sure.

You bought your bike from Bob knowing full well that these old 900"s often required special care and attention.
During your rebuild it was plain to see that you've been thoughtful,inquisitive,patient,careful,and paid attention to detail.
Most importantly though,you knew when to say "I don't know".

A smart man will look at something that he doesn't know and immediately admit that he doesn't know.

A stupid man will look at something that he doesn't know,take it apart and f*ck with it for an hour and break it,and then admit that he doesn't know.

Obviously I'll be assembling my fuel lines myself but if I ever needed that done I'd have no problems letting you take care of that for me. As I said,I liked the job you did.
I agree; and being good enough to document it all for others to learn from and share along the way!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
...Just happy to contribute to this awesome collective of knowledge guys!...

Here are the final install shots. I put some foam strips between the new valve and the frame to protect frame and settle it into place but probably should have used some strip rubber! Easy enough to change. The only thing I want to do now is to find some of that hose wrap that is a spring for anti kink applications. The new hose I am using is very flexible and is "almost" kinking under the tank when it's closed. Do any of you guys have any links for a good anti-kink spring wrap?

Seems like the longer the hose is the more prone it is to kink but the shorter it is the harder it is to prop the tank open all the way for easy access.

Valve position is good I can access it with my bike gloves on with a little twisting of the hand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Do you have any fuel line left over? You might try splitting it lengthwise and wrapping it around the area prone to kinking. Or get some with matching ID to your current OD and do the same. Or get something like this, which is what I think you were referring to originally: http://www.husky.com/hewitt/protective-coils/protective-hose-coil/.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts