Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey KEVIN-T,

I'm currently in the process of my FCR 41 install:

Pingel Guzzler Fuel Valve - 5/16in. In-Line - Polished GV55GP, and a 1 into 2 5/16 filter in place of the Y fitting.

I fabricated a SS bracket that mounts onto the pingel, and then just below the battery box, I have a PDF drawing if you need it.

Not sure on the return orifice, cant find anything in my old fuel lines? Haven't sourced the hose and clamps yet either.

Cheers
K:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh I like that 2 into 1 filter! Nice. Are you still going to run the filter near the carbs?
I would like to see your bracket design. PM sent

·
Registered
143 Posts
The plan is to keep it as close to original, except for the FCR 41's fuel tap and filter. I'm planning on fitting the filter on the tap output, one filter output to the carbs, the other output back to the tank return.

See attached pic for mounting, and pdf for bracket.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
The plan is to keep it as close to original, except for the FCR 41's fuel tap and filter. I'm planning on fitting the filter on the tap output, one filter output to the carbs, the other output back to the tank return.

Oh wow, I like that - if only that Pingel stuff wasn't so expensive. Nice work on the drawings as well - is that your work?

Do you think you're going to need that restrictor in the return line still - that filter may have a reasonable pressure drop across it and divert a lot of the fuel back into the tank?

This is what I did.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
KG900SL - I'm in agreement, nice work! I'm also curious about the program you used to create the drawing.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Do you think you're going to need that restrictor in the return line still - that filter may have a reasonable pressure drop across it and divert a lot of the fuel back into the tank?
The sales material for that valve says, "Our filters are the only filters designed to meet the high flow requirement needs of the Pingel Power-FloTM gas valves, as well as today’s high flow carburetors."

Pingel Enterprise, Inc. ? High Quality Motorcycle Performance Products

Oh nice work on that solenoid setup!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That is really nice work! I was hoping those screws in the valve could be used as attach points!
Did you need to change to a longer screw to make that bracket work?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I got the ear clamps last night. Quick shipping and packaged very nice so I wanted to put this out there for any of you guys that are location challenged like me! Belmetric FTW!

https://www.belmetric.com/

I looked pretty hard for some that had that raised rib like the OEM on the right in my first pic but the ones supplied by Belmetric will work great. They are a little more robust looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the compliments gents!

I had several bits of sheet metal cnc cut and bent, the company that I used provided the service, cnc drawings and a pdf for the customer.

I have looked at the filter again, there appears sufficient restriction going through the filter element, so I will do away with the fuel line restrictor. Yup the Pingel stuff is hellish expensive, but great quality.

I had to replace the 4 5/32 screws for some 2mm longer ones to accommodate the bracket fitment.

I like those ear clamps, don't particularly like hose clamps, so I will see what can be located locally. Do they require a special tool for installation?

Great mod on the electric solenoid valve!

Almost done:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Cheers K

Attachments

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the compliments gents!

I like those ear clamps, don't particularly like hose clamps, so I will see what can be located locally. Do they require a special tool for installation?

Almost done:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Cheers K
You will need an ear clamp tool.

They are the best when looks are important. You could probably make one on a grinder with an old set of pliers that you dont need but the tools themselves are not expensive.

I know what you mean about almost done! I have had my bike torn down for a few months and I am waiting for the last parts to be delivered. The Y fitting and then that pingle valve. The Y arrives today but the valve isnt for a week or so. I may have to install that valve at a later time! :wink2:

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I am not so sure my fancy Y fitting is going to work. It is ever so slightly undersized on the barb and I am not sure I can get it to seal good. :frown2:

Has any of you ever used shrink tubing to build up a diameter of a fuel fitting? I have a few different kinds of shrink tubing and I am running a test now with them submerged in gas to see if they can hold up. I am kinda bummed because that fitting is so awesome.

Sort of got me thinking about the brother on here who is using the Pingle in line filter with 2 in and 1 out. Is it OK that stuff the filter catches could be pressured back up into the tank if carb bowls are full? Maybe run that thing without the filter? I don't really want to get one of those if I dont have to.

Maybe I can make my own Y fitting with some good brass hardware. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The Pingel post reminded me of an option I looked at ages ago. You can get the Pingel valve with 2 inlets and one outlet. Plus you can get it a couple of different ways.

Dunno about using heat shrink with fuel. I wouldn't.

I thought the stock hose was 7.5mm? The 5/16 fittings are closer to 8mm. I used German car fuel injection line and the first lot I tried was a lot bigger than I ended up using with the same size designation.

With the filter question there is a constant flow back to the tank anyway. The system is virtual gravity feed. The return system pretty much dumps any pressure as its open to atmosphere. It only exists to get the last 1/3 of a tank out. The bike will run without the pump operating down to that point.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I found this page that says the Polyolefin shrink tubing is fine for fuel but then I have found a bunch of other sites that say the shrink tubing needs to be specially formulated for use with fuel. I am sure there is some CYA in the lack of data. I mean they cant tell you to use the stuff to repair a fuel line and then you burn something down and sue.

Heat Shrink Tubing Selection Guide

One or two layers of shrink wrap is all I need to get that barb to the right size. I may just re-use my gnarly looking OEM Y until I get an elegant solution.

So far after 16 hours all three of the ones I have are holding up fine in the fuel. One I have is polyolefin and the others have no callout for what material they are.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Once you heat and shrink Heatshrink Tube is isn't really elastic any more and fuel might leak between the fitting and the tube. Adhesive tube might help but the adhesive probably wouldn't like the fuel very much and it would fail anyway.

Fuel will leak through gaps that air won't get through.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Here are some pics of the fuel line effort.

I learned that I am not that happy with the fuel line I purchased (ebay) and will re-do this again with some better quality hose.

I also wasn't able to use the ear clamps on the part that fits over the 5/16 inlets on that cutoff valve. I had to use some worm clamps that are not the look I was going for but I will rebuild this whole line after I ride a while.

I went to my local hardware store (Ace) and found something to use as a restricter in the return line too. It's an aluminum part called a "spacer". It has a 1/8 hole in it. It fit in the hose perfect. They sell them tapped or straight bore. I installed the tapped one for now because it is easy to extract with a long screw.

You can see I reused my old Y fitting. I ordered an aluminum Y block from Summit that is for NOS applications and will try to build my own Y with some barb fittings in the final assembly.

DEI Ny-Trex Y-Blocks 170050 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Some closure items for completeness.

That Y fitting I found, made by FESTO corporation, really let me down. That thing is such a sweet piece of kit! If I can ever figure out a way to swage on a bigger nipple on it I will run that thing in a heartbeat! It is slightly larger ID than the stock plastic Y and very strong. Here it is and a shot of the place I got it from. Fast shipping from them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Here is the fun I was trying to work out.

First pic - Rocket engine part on left and Harley Davidson valve on right!

2nd - The Pingle valve really is designed for high flow. It's like looking down the barrel of a .45! It is so well made though. I am very happy with the purchase.

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Check out Spectre Performance at http://www.spectreperformance.com. They sell worm clamps with covers over them so they look like Aeroquip fittings. Also have fuel line with stainless braid over it that is for looks only, not pressure strength. I used this when I re-plumbed my SS and I think it looks nice without being overdone. You can get the parts from Amazon or a lot of other places.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Have you checked Festo for the fitting you need in the correct size ? We used to plumb whole assembly lines with that stuff.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts