Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may be aware that I am a bit of a stock nazi with regard to most aspects of my hobbys so I will share my tribulations here of my quest to replace my fuel lines between the tank and carbs. Yeah, that one with the plastic un-obtainium Y union in it!

When I was removing the lines from my bike I noticed the Y fitting was a bit more flexible than I would like so it seemed appropriate to replace the whole thing. Especially when considering the hoses were stamped that they were made in '93!

The hose assembly, as supplied on new bike, is a nice piece of kit consisting of hoses by the French company Kleber.

They are labeled as Kleber Industrie Tubessence SR + 7 x 13.

7mm I.D. x 13mm O.D. is the important spec.

That darned hose company sold itself to a company who spun it off to a company called Trelleborg in France. The way my mind works I want this hose to put on my bike. If anyone knows who the current supplier to Ducati for fuel lines can you let me know? This is also acceptable to me. I know what you are saying, a waste of time but this is how I extract maximum enjoyment out of my hobbies. I haven't found a re-seller of this hose yet but I am looking. The exact hose for the 900SS application, following my logic, should be Trelleborg Hydro Eco in 7mm X 13mm size.

Here is the spec in PDF.
http://www.trelleborg.com/en/apiv2/Download/ProductSheetPDF/813BD690-520A-4CB2-B2BB-0B6685C78551

This picture is of the next bigger size but I am showing it to see the markings.

In the meantime I ordered some German 7mm fuel line! Now about that Y fitting...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Y fitting is Ducati part 036183060 "Union". I tried for many hours to find one on the internet with no luck. Well there is one place in Kentucky that has it listed for sale for a couple of bucks without a picture so I am not sure what it would look like plus they only offer 35 dollar shipping to me with FedEx so I skipped that.

UNION

Stien-Dinse has the part listed with a picture of it and it is clearly not the same as the OEM one so I am passing on that too.

Benzinschlauchverteiler Y-Stück 8mm - Stein-Dinse Online-Shop

If I can't easily find the OEM parts I like to try and use aerospace quality parts and I happened into this one that I ordered and hope to make fit.

Hi-Flow Y-Fitting [TA-SR-1009] - $7.50 : ShopBVMJets.com, your one stop jet shop!

It is for 8mm hose but I am hopeful I can stretch the 7mm hose onto it. Yeah! You like that? I thought you would. I will report as to how awesome it is when I get it in my grubby mitts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ear Clamps

Does anyone know where to find good ear clamps for my hose assembly? I prefer these to worm type but can't seem to find a good copy of the OEM's. Does anyone have a recommendation for a close second that is high quality?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jet inside hose

I did not find any jet installed inside my hose. Is it common to remove this?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think I got the Ducati part Y from Ducati Omaha. I used Gates 5/16 hose. I realize its not metric, but it worked fine. The "Pill" in the return line is to create head or slight pressure on the delivery line. Others here have said it isn't necessary. I found mine in the line and put it back when I changed the lines.

·
Premium Member
5,431 Posts
The jet in the return line is a form of restriction to keep the fuel pressure right. If you have no jet you might just be pumping the fuel back to the tank as much as to the carbs. Too small a jet and you can over power the fuel needle.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The jet in the return line is a form of restriction to keep the fuel pressure right. If you have no jet you might just be pumping the fuel back to the tank as much as to the carbs. Too small a jet and you can over power the fuel needle.
Well shoots DV. Do you think I should add one for the FCR's? I poked a wire inside all ends of the hoses and there is no object there.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Oetiker clamps are available at any good plumbing supply place.

Sea-doos are covered up with them, too.

Reactions: va duc

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Anyone have the dimensions of the orifice and length of the insert for that restricter?
EDIT, I just measured the ID of the metal tube in the tank on the return line and it is .166 inches in diameter. I can make an insert but not sure what size hole is a good idea. I saw an old thread where a guy was going to try 1/8 inch. Does that sound like a good hole size?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Can anyone recommend a high quality fuel shutoff valve that has 7mm inputs?

EDIT: Maybe I should ask if these are required for FCR-41's. I seem to recall reading that a shutoff valve was recommended to not flood the carbs if stored for a while/

Found this one but I don't want to add one if it's not really needed.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Unlimited-Fuel-Shut-Off-Valve/dp/B00230ECOK[/ame]

and this one...

http://www.hyperracing.com/pages/products/online_store.aspx?product=42-161

·
Registered
912 Posts
I used that red and gold one from Amazon with my FCRs. It works fine. Not strictly required, but after my old Mikunis dumped fuel on my garage floor and in my crankcase I figured better safe than sorry.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
From experience I would recommend an in-line fuel tap for the FCR's. My ones didn't just dump fuel on the garage floor, they filled the engine sump with fuel up to the sparkplug on the vertical cylinder...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The shut off is a good idea. I had my FCR's fill my crankcase too. After that I started closing the shut of valve at the tank.

There are a few threads on different valves available. One option is a shut of valve they use on dual fuel systems with LPG/Propane and Petrol. The solenoid valve shuts off when the ignition is off. One posted on here had a manual over-ride which was enough to make me sway towards that.

A nice solution would be a shut off with two inlets and one outlet so it replaced the Y fitting. If you had an all metal Y connector you could silver solder the appropriate branch closed and drill it out to the correct size. Or just not worry about it.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I put a valve in the line just because I couldn't get at the stock one easily. I sort of hid it so it's a poor mans anti theft device.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
The shut off is a good idea. I had my FCR's fill my crankcase too. After that I started closing the shut of valve at the tank.

There are a few threads on different valves available. One option is a shut of valve they use on dual fuel systems with LPG/Propane and Petrol. The solenoid valve shuts off when the ignition is off. One posted on here had a manual over-ride which was enough to make me sway towards that.

A nice solution would be a shut off with two inlets and one outlet so it replaced the Y fitting. If you had an all metal Y connector you could silver solder the appropriate branch closed and drill it out to the correct size. Or just not worry about it.
Yeah, I tried one of those after a recommendation from another member here. No problems installing, but only run it in the shed at the moment. I liked the manual override feature.

Probably not strictly 7 mm but you'll easily be able to use either fitting.

Regards

Muddy

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man, you guys are killing me! You know I want to get back on the road right? :crying:

I poked around and found a thread on here that showed these sweet Pingle valves....I got one coming with 5/16 nipples. I had a gift card for Amazon that has been wasting away on my desk so it was nice to put it to good use.

"Pingel Guzzler Fuel Valve - 5/16in. In-Line - Polished GV55GP"

1 - 20 of 79 Posts