Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

So I'm attempting to fix my fuel sensor like the guy in these videos

and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best type of epoxy to fill the holes I had to drill to get the screws out.

Obviously it would need to create a watertight seal (gas), and be able to withstand gasoline.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The gas does not contact the epoxy "plug". Only the float side. It is sealed on both ends by the red gaskets. The problem is a loose connection at the pcb / wiring connector encapsulated in in the epoxy. I solder 25 ga. wires to the board at the outputs and drill a 2mm hole through the epoxy plug, be sure the hole is with in the sealed gasket. Bring the new wires out of the assembly. Solder the new wires to the existing wires respectively outside the assembly, creating a parallel path around the faulty connection.
Cheers

·
Registered
689 Posts
I always wondered why there is a need for a float in these.

They could use the same electronic part used for a low fuel light, make an array of it (like 10 or 20 of those evenly spaced) and dampen the reading with a micro controller by calculating an average.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gas does not contact the epoxy "plug". Only the float side. It is sealed on both ends by the red gaskets. The problem is a loose connection at the pcb / wiring connector encapsulated in in the epoxy. I solder 25 ga. wires to the board at the outputs and drill a 2mm hole through the epoxy plug, be sure the hole is with in the sealed gasket. Bring the new wires out of the assembly. Solder the new wires to the existing wires respectively outside the assembly, creating a parallel path around the faulty connection.
Cheers
I don't see how that's possible. The screws go all the way through. If I don't fill it back, gas would have to leak out.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you check the CA Cycleworks face book page they list the epoxy they use when they
make the f-wires product I believe it was Devcon 2ton epoxy there was a discussion
about using it on fuel flanges of Hypermotard 1100's a while back.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you check the CA Cycleworks face book page they list the epoxy they use when they
make the f-wires product I believe it was Devcon 2ton epoxy there was a discussion
about using it on fuel flanges of Hypermotard 1100's a while back.
Can you verify that for me please? I don't have facebook.

Need to get this finished today. I have a 4 hour ride tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Epoxy is curing.
IDK if my touch up on the points with the soldering iron was effective or not. They all looked ok to me. I didn't get to the wires at all. For all I know this thing will leak as well. Fingers crossed.

I'll be putting it back together in the morning.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to give an update.

It worked! ...mostly

It doesn't just go to... OMG YOU ARE BONE DRY anymore. Seems to still be a little confused. If I fill up as normal, it will act kind of strange. Sometimes it will just show a 1/2 tank and if I sit there for a minute it will steadily climb up and down and settle at about 80% fuel level.

Then as I'm riding it may creep back down too quick. If I pull over and shut the bike off and then start it back up it will show the proper amount of fuel....usually.

Kind of strange really. It seems to work mostly, ...but it's ...dumb.

The good news is it works enough to make me happy, and hopefully it gets "smarter" over time, and if it doesn't, a new sensor is only $113. I read countless times how it was $300 and was guaranteed to fail again, that I never even considered buying a new one. After looking it up and seeing the low price, I probably would have just bought a new one to begin with. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 11 of 11 Posts