Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key on the fuel pump does not make as much noise as normal, and it won't start. It does make buzzing noise a little , but it just doesn't seem as loud. Wondering if pump is shot. Will try getting a new filter first though. Can anyone tell me how much a new one is or if they can be rebuilt. It's crazy because it went from running perfect to nothing. When my truck's pump went out it was a gradual deal. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
307 Posts
Most likely it is your fuel pump relays. I dont know what kind of bike you have but, on a 748,916,996,998 they are the 2 rectangular relays under the seat. When you turn your key see if can feel them click. when mine went out it rattled when i removed it. You can go to any auto parts store and buy a replacement relay for about $10.00. Check that first.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Bet price would depend on the bike:think: New, 996 fuel pump is listed @ $221 on Ducati Omaha, get the parts list for your bike off Ducati's web site. The pumps themselves are generally not repairable unless you can fabricate the defective component(s) yourself. Start off by checking the voltage going to the pump, should be ~12v. If its low suspect the fuel pump relay. If its an older bike chances are the inside of the tank has rusted to the point of clogging the pump suction screen. The suction screen is very fragile and can be punctured by non intending servicing by a siphon tube. If the screen is perforated then the pump could ingest a bunch of rust and debris. If the voltage is OK don't continue to run the pump. Pull tank off and remove the pump for inspection and possible repair. You can replace your fuel filter while you are in there but I doubt its the root cause of your problem.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've got a pump and screen filter from a 900SS which uses the same pump as a number of Ducs. PM me if you're interested and I can send pics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 98 916, tank looks very good inside. Let me check the voltage and also see if the relays click. If the fix is only $20 I'll be most happy.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's a 98 916, tank looks very good inside. Let me check the voltage and also see if the relays click. If the fix is only $20 I'll be most happy.
Pull the pump if the voltages don't check out then you'll know for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts