Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right by the pump exit line, right where you clamp on to the pump with
your hose, is small hole into the pump. Is that hole suppose to leak fuel as the
system pressurizes?

I might be chasing another rabbit but the other day I thought I had her running
pretty decent. Then the next day I decided to crank it up and got the same
symptoms I'd been having pretty much and even started acting like she was
running out of gas. I also noticed I could hear fuel splashing when I turned the key
on and off. I'd had the fuel hose blow off, the first of last spring I think it was, from a
clogged filter and thought that might be it.

Pulled the pump out and all the hoses looked good. Their new hoses and should.
Decided to set the assembly in fuel and power it and that's when I noticed it sprays
some fuel from the small hole right beside the fuel line off the pump. This small hole
is right in the pump and actually looks like it might be threaded.

·
Mr Leakered
8,811 Posts
I don't recall any threaded holes. A pic may help. I think there was one posted recently. There's the Main and Return and a vent. Also, I have one labeled Canister. It looks like the canister was removed by the PO and left without anything tubing there.

I've been wondering if Y'ing something in there might help with a minor and intermittent, 1/8th throttle sputter I've been having. But then, I do believe my trim settings are all whacked out due to the lack of a Gastester.

BTW, you're back in the saddle? Good to hear!

Have a good one.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A picture, why didn't I think of that. :)

It's a bit fuzzy but the hole just to the right of the fuel hose and clamp on top of the pump. It may be some sort of primer deal but just checking. Since I am chasing all possible reasons for the wacky running I'm getting.

·
7,733 Posts
The fuel pump's mechanicals are "lubed" by the fuel. Maybe this is just an additional access port/pressure bleeder for the "lube" to get to/out of the pump's internal workings.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if it's like a weep hole on a water pump. when the pump starts to go the weep hole weeps. But I did put a fuel pressure tester in line the other day and seemed to be running a steady 45 psi.

Has anyone else ever run their pump in a bucket? I did and that's how I know that hole is leaking at start up. Or, if you look real close with the tank fill open you may be able to see it or notice a fuel bubble from that area. What's got me I never noticed the bubbling till now. As I said, I had the fuel filter clog and blew the fuel line off as in the other thread (that was last spring).

The other deal is this didn't happen till after the deer wreck (might not have anything to do with it).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I never figured out what that hole was for. I have been happily back on the road since addressing the fuel lines. I'm letting ignorance be my bliss, but now you have me wondering if I have any gurgling/ bubbling on start-up. I don't recall any, but thanks to you :think: I now have no choice but to check it out...

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never figured out what that hole was for. I have been happily back on the road since addressing the fuel lines. I'm letting ignorance be my bliss, but now you have me wondering if I have any gurgling/ bubbling on start-up. I don't recall any, but thanks to you :think: I now have no choice but to check it out...
hum, sorry bout that but,,,if you do check it out let me know what you find ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts