Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm pretty new to this forum so this is pretty much my first technical question I have a 1993 Ducati 900SS, and had the bike out for a spin last weekend, was just a few mile down the road, only to get that running out of petrol feeling.

However I knew there was lots in the tank so that could not have been the problem.

Lifted up the tank to find that the last owner had nicely taped up the connection between the on tank fuel pump and the connection off to the bike... this taping in all the hot weather failed and the pins that had been botch jobbed into the bike side connector came out. Which was the cause of my fuel flow disruption.

I managed to get them back in to the locations I thought was right. Because the wiring colours are different both sides of the connections I'm not sure if its 100% right.... The bike runs and I made it back home with much relief.

But now I'm getting a buzzing sound when turning the ignition on which keeps on going when the engine is running it sounds like the fuel pump priming but I would have thought it would go out after a few seconds. I'm not sure this normal?

It looks like someone in the past changed the fuel pump and the wiring was different... can someone help confirm what colours should connect to what on the other side?

Wiring coming from bike Wiring from pump side

Red with Black stripes ------ I have going to ----- Red
Black ------ I have going to ----- Black
Brown with White Stripes --- I have going to ----- White
Blue ----- I have going to ----- Black (Yes 2 black wires)

I have a workshop manual but it's as about as much use as tits on a boar...

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not sure on the wiring colour codes but noise from the fuel pump is normal - it's just the pump running. Both my bikes (750SS and 900SL) have done this (apart from when the painter clogged by fuel pump and it stopped working :-( ).

Rob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that my father was sure the buzzing should go out after a while when the pressure was built up but it continues... it didnt sound right to him.

I had earthing problems on the bike which was making it hard started but the noise went completely when the extra earth wiring was added.I guess that was the start of the loose connection on the fuel pump :).

It had not been ridden much since that work was done and it must have been running by gravity of the fuel flow or whatever was in the carb bowls.
My guess with the wiring between the two connectors must have been correct then as it wouldn't work otherwise or I'd have burnt out the pump, or blew a fuse if it was wrong.

Cheers
Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts