Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 SS fitted with new FCRs and getting a full make-over. Got the bike nearly fully reassembled during my holidays (less some cosmetics), fitted a new fuel solenoid to it, put some fuel in the tank, kicked it over and you guessed it ... it won't go!!!! :frown2:

The fuel solenoid appears to be working fine - I can hear it open and close and it has a manual bypass. The fuel pump is running all the time - I can hear that too. I pulled the line off the outlet of the fuel solenoid and no fuel. So I pulled the line of the inlet to the fuel solenoid and no fuel there either! :crying:

The fuel cock under the tank is open and I can blow air back into the tank via the fuel line. The tank vent line is free and the fuel lines are not kinked. There is no vacuum in the tank.

What have I done wrong?

The following topic seems to suggest polarity on the fuel pump is important:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/361393-fuel-pump-wire-connections.html

This is the only thing I can think of that might be wrong. There are all new filterers in the tank and I thought I was careful with the polarity on the pump.

Are the pumps relatively self-priming? Before I pull the pump out and change the wires over on the connections, is there any other tips or thoughts that anyone could suggest?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Muddy

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G'day Guys

Thanks for your input.

ducvet, this is a great tip and I'll try this before removing the pump from the tank.

Easy to do as the polarity markings are tiny , to test just unplug the connector and use jumper wires to swap polarity. Then see if it fixes the issue.
Regards

Muddy

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell yes, that fuel pump polarity will make a hell of a difference! I refered back to some old photos of the bike as I disassembled it and sure enough I had the wires reversed on reassembly. Swapped the wires over, put it back in the tank and checked it for flow before connecting the filter back onto the lines - all pumped very well. Connected the fuel lines back to the new FCRs and it fired straight up.

There is nothing like the sound of a freshly rebuilt Ducati motor firing up immediately and purring like a Tiger. The Staintine spaghetti and muffler make it sound absolutely awesome.

I'm one very happy man today. :laugh:

Now back to fitting the remaining cosmetics.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Regards

Muddy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts