Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a number of alternate parts posted for the fuel pump relay. It was a Bosch, originally (28740402A), superseded by a Hella part (28740403A).

However, none of the alternate parts I've found actually have the waterproof shrouding and the part for the clip to secure it.

What do you folks do when using the alternate parts to waterproof and maintain a solid connection? Or no big deal?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
5,570 Posts
I haven't swapped mine out yet...but i do carry spares of the alternate part variety. I've never noticed the relays getting wet up under the seat. I don't think it's a big deal.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use these: Ebay 302708108260

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure moisture would be a problem but you can always add some rtv around the relay case and base to seal it and some dielectric grease to the terminals before plugging it in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Right --those are similar to what I was referring to; they don't have the waterproof shrouding, nor the attachment for the securing clip.
They are sealed at the base. Not sure what you want yours to look like; post a picture?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are sealed at the base. Not sure what you want yours to look like; post a picture?
The stock part looks like this: https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=182654

The stock Ducati part has a shroud/skirt/collar that couples with the plug to make a dust-proof and waterproof seal. There's also a clip part on the shroud that secures the connection.

Just curious what folks do, if anything, with the non-OE ones without the added protection.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced mine with epoxy sealed relays. Still good after 2 1/2 years.

Here is the thread covering this discussion back in 2017: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/690369-ignition-relay-st4s.html

Steve
Thanks for the link. The starter relay on my '99 is Bitron, made in Italy (B047 PA66-GF30) with a different layout. The newer Siemens and Tyco replacements definitely won't work for me. I'm fairly certain my starter relay is still good though.

I ordered up a pair of the OE fuel pump relays and will hopefully be good to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts