Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the fuel pump does not turn on when the key is on. the kill switch is not engaged. the fuel injection fuse and the relay are good, tested, and i have put a new relay in, just for giggles. obviously, the bike is not running.

i am thinking a bad connection somewhere, but have checked all connections that i can find, or a bad fuel pump.

i have to go to work, and this has made me late. i just got it home on a trailer. when i have more time (tomorrow) i'll check the power at the fuel pump leads under the tank with a multimeter.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
773 Posts
fuel pump . . .

Check your fuses. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? When they get plugged up, the fuel pump has to work extra hard and blows the fuse.

Fred

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
fuse is good. verified by sight and by it allowing the relay to be energized.

could the side-stand switch cause this kind of problem?

·
Registered
272 Posts
grab a multimeter or test light and follow the voltage, if you've got voltage going into the fuel pump its probably a bad fuel pump. Remove the pump and hook it directly to battery voltage to verify its good or bad. If you don't have voltage at the pump but you do have voltage coming out of the relay, trace the wires in between and one way or another you'll find your problem.
Also, whatever the problem winds up being, replace your fuel filter!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
grab a multimeter or test light and follow the voltage, if you've got voltage going into the fuel pump its probably a bad fuel pump. Remove the pump and hook it directly to battery voltage to verify its good or bad. If you don't have voltage at the pump but you do have voltage coming out of the relay, trace the wires in between and one way or another you'll find your problem.
Also, whatever the problem winds up being, replace your fuel filter!
that is a good plan. good call on the filter.

it failed about three miles from home, very suddenly. i am driving along the motor just quit. i immediately noticed that the pump wasn't priming when i turned the key. initially, i thought i hit the kill switch inadvertantly, it died so quick.

any idea which of the wires going into the pump should be hot? it seems that i saw four at the connector.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah two of those are for the sending unit and two are for the fuel pump. I think its a brown/white wire at the connector. If you can get to the connector that actually plugs into the pump itself inside the tank, I would do that. Should just be a red and black wire (obviously red=+ and black= -). IIRC the wire should be long enough to work with if you take the gas cap (assembly) off. Just remember the fuel pump is only trying to run for the first couple seconds (priming) when you turn the key on so to check voltage you'll need to either cycle the key on/off or just run the starter (probably drain your battery fairly fast that way though).

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My bike is a '97, but my pump quit due to a break in the wire under the tank where the quick-release electrical plug is. It was because of too many lifting and lowering the tank cycles without being careful not to kink the wires.
Joe

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll check the wires for breaks. good idea.

i found that i have power to the blue wire only.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'll throw a multimeter on mine tonight and verify but I think the blue/white wire is for the sending unit (did you note how many volts you had at that wire?). If I am right about the wires and if you do have voltage coming out of the relay then you probably have a broken wire somewhere in the wiring harness.
~11.5V on the blue/white wire.

i have continuity from the Bn/W wire to the relay. i have jumpered that relay with no joy. basically, the pump is not getting voltage.

where does the ignition relay live?

·
Registered
272 Posts
btw i did double check and it is the brown/white wire that feeds the fuel pump and should have ~12 volts when the pump is (supposed to be) running, so yeah just trace that wire through the harness and with any luck you'll find your problem. Good luck!

If it were any bike other than a Ducati I'd suggest just running a new wire from the connector at the pump to the relay and forget about it but its kind of a ******* engineering way of fixing things.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
btw i did double check and it is the brown/white wire that feeds the fuel pump and should have ~12 volts when the pump is (supposed to be) running, so yeah just trace that wire through the harness and with any luck you'll find your problem. Good luck!

If it were any bike other than a Ducati I'd suggest just running a new wire from the connector at the pump to the relay and forget about it but its kind of a ******* engineering way of fixing things.
the pump runs hotwired. there is a problem between pin '30' at the injection relay and where it gets power. i am tracing the wiring diagram and will find the problem.

thanks for the help, peeps. further suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
problem solved - reading the owners manual MIGHT have helped

in my defense, i did read the owners manual. i missed that there is a second location for fuses. i was only looking at the main fuse panel at the left under the main fairing. i found a blown 20 amp fuse. and as luck would have it, i have a whole box of them in the glove box of my car! problem solved, it fires right up.

the problem fuse is in the middle of the photo (which is hazy) surrounded by blue.

i am going to try to run the tank out of petrol and then change the fuel filter as suggested. regardless, the fuel filter will get changed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is there a good place to buy parts on-line? a fuel filter is on the menu....

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Fuel filter and easier location

Check this thread - I have put in a blow by blow way to get your fuel filter to an easier location for future changes/services. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=39907

You don't have to buy Duc branded fuel filters. All they are is an OEM filter with the Ducati name printed on as well. When you have it out, just take it to your local car or bike parts shop.

If you do the external filter mod, make sure you get high pressure fuel injection hoses and clamps to suit.

Richard

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
one more thing, before i drop the subject.

when i was troubleshooting, i ran the pump directly through my multimeter from the battery to the pump positive lead. it only drew 5.5 amps. it seems a little odd that it would pop a 20 amp fuse.

·
Registered
272 Posts
there are usually several components running off the same fuse
with an old fuel filter a Duc fuel pump should draw 5-6 amps, should drop to 4-5 amps with a new filter. A new pump will only draw about 3 amps

I would put 10-15 miles near your house with a new fuse before you head to work again to make sure it doesn't blow the fuse again

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
where did you measure? There are usually several other components running off the same circuit
straight from the battery to the feed side of the relay plug.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just looked at the diagram again. that fuse is on the same lines that run the coils and the injectors. i'll have to jumper the fuse socket with the multimeter, while it is running, and see what the current draw is.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, one last observation and question.

i tried to ride the bike up the canyon again. it died. i put a new fuse in and turned around. i got a little ways down the canyon again. it died. five times. at that point i am out of fuses and the last immediately popped before i could even get rolling.

i am thinking the fuel filter is plugged, as suggested earlier, and the fuel pump gets hotter and hotter the more it runs, drawing more and more power. thus it pops fuses quicker and quicker.

then, my wife came to rescue me. i used a 20 amp fuse from the rover to get it going and it made it the last half mile home. i am thinking it had time to cool off and it ran as far as home.

does this sound like a fuel filter issue?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts