Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up an 07 800SS recently (race bike) and noticed something that seems a bit odd. When the bike is off I can occasionally hear a groaning sound coming from the tank, sounds like from the fuel pump area but definitely not fuel pump priming. Its done this even days after the bike has been cranked.

Anybody come across this before? It doesn't seem to be an issue, the bike runs well enough and its not draining the battery but it did get me a bit curious.

·
Registered
266 Posts
think it's a partially clogged fuel tank vent off-gassing? may not do this when the fill cap is loose,
bobp

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree, I think you have a vent issue. I'm not sure if it's a pre-cursor to the collapsed tank issue, but it wouldn't surprise me. I definitely wouldn't ignore it.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Crimped fuel lines?

After a ride, if you open the gas filler cap, do you hear a whoosh of air? If so, it is highly likely that one of the fuel lines under the tank is "squished"

The sound you hear is probably air gradually sucking into the tank, as the vent line is crimped/"squished"

Lift the tank and make sure that the fuel lines are not getting crimped when the tank is down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts