Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my '92 900ss to bed about four months ago to escape the brutal SoCal winter and when I can to resurrect it this afternoon the fuel pump remained silent. I checked the fuse and there was power. Any thoughts on what else to check? The pump is a replacement automotive one that was recommended as an alternative (Honda Civic I recall) and it has only been installed for 12 months or so. The bike was put to sleep with a full tank of gas with a splash of seafoam. Any help is appreciated but I think I am looking at a replacement pump.

·
Super Moderator
5,082 Posts
Did you check the relay? They have a tendency to go bad. How about the connection to the fuel pump? Tight? Is there voltage at the connection?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Mike. Is there a quick way to check the relay?

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,260 Posts
Is there a quick way to check the relay?
Yes Lambsfoot.

Lift your fuel tank,unplug the electrical connector at the fuel pump,turn your key switch to the ON position and check for power on the Red wire with a Black stripe. (Yellow arrow)

If there's battery voltage there the relay is working. If not start backtracking,check for power on the Red wire with a Black stripe at both sides of the number 4 main wire harness electrical connector. (Green arrows)

Also it's equally important to check for continuity to ground on the Black wire of the fuel pump electrical connector. (Red arrow)

If there's battery voltage on the Red wire with a Black stripe at the fuel pump electrical connector with the key switch in the ON position but no continuity to ground on the Black wire your fuel pump won't work.

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mike. Is there a quick way to check the relay?
There is only one relay according to the schematic. If this was stuffed, then everything would be dead.

That aside, a quick test is to pull the relay and use a piece of wire to bridge in the socket between where relay pins 30 and 87 go.

The pump could be stuck, in spite of the seafoam.

People have reported success, with the pump removed, by repeatedly connecting the pump wires correctly to a battery for a moment, then reversing the connections. This "works" the pump forwards and backwards and may free it up if jammed.

If it works during the first the out of tank connection to the battery, then there is a wiring or connection issue.

Then of course there is the fuse. I don't rely on visual inspection. Swap and see.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What Punch said. Mine sat for longer. I thought it was stuffed. I checked the like Punch said it was good. I still pulled the pump hooked it to the battery and switched back and forth. It worked.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
And if all else fails? Hit it! This worked on some dude's ST3 down at the dragon about 8 years ago. He was stranded. FI pump seemed dead. We broke out or voltmeters, scratched our heads and then I told him to turn the key on, and I hit his tank with open palm. FI pump came alive!.

Had similar with an old Mopar pickup. Gent's truck would not start. I removed gas cap and listened as he turned the key to "run". No FI pump. I crawled under, told him to turn key to run, and kicked the tank. Pump came to life...and then the truck started...

Same for my Kerig machine. Be mean to it. When the pump primes the vessel, and right when it goes to dispense, hit the crap out of it, and yell, "GIMME MY COFFEE!!!". Works every time. And it gives me a certain amount of pleasure. (I think it's getting the solenoid valves to seat or open fully.) And the vinegar flush does not seem to cure it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts