Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I installed the fuel pump back, started the engine, turned around, saw smoke... the fuel pump was leaking... The fuel pump didn't want to go in, so I used some grease on the o-ring and a mallet, and it went in fine... all the bolts are tight.. why is it leaking? did I forget something?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, thats no good. Its very easy to pinch the o ring and damage it without seeing its damaged. You've gotta pull it apart, check the o ring and I bet if you stretch it, you'll see a hair-line crack OR chunk missing. If not, just throw some lithium grease on it and it will go right in.
Thanks Tye. I think the mallet was a bad idea.. I used liquid wrench, guess I will try some lithium grease.. good thing I have a spare O-ring..

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I always use a new o-ring - just figure it in as a cost of pulling the pump. It seems that they stretch over time and this will not allow them to re-seat. I use a silicon lube as not to damage the rubber. New orings are about $22 from the dealer or you can get them from grainger for significantly less.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The new O-ring with lithium grease just went in with out much force, and it's not leaking anymore :) I am happy, I could get my crack fix this weekend.. yay!!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I Emailed Brad Black a while back in reference to cam gaskets and the like. He gave me a crafty tip to use some silicone on the gasket to keep it in place and prevent shifting. I wonder if you could do the same w/ a fuel pump gasket? Use a little on a new O ring, let it set up and push the pump in. The only harm would be if some silicone came off and started mixing around w/ the gas. That O ring gasket is a PITA. But I think using silicone might ease installation.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I Emailed Brad Black a while back in reference to cam gaskets and the like. He gave me a crafty tip to use some silicone on the gasket to keep it in place and prevent shifting. I wonder if you could do the same w/ a fuel pump gasket? Use a little on a new O ring, let it set up and push the pump in. The only harm would be if some silicone came off and started mixing around w/ the gas. That O ring gasket is a PITA. But I think using silicone might ease installation.
The lithium grease is the simple trick. It lubes the rubber, which is what is actually needed in this operation. It also has zero risk of contamination.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The lithium grease is the simple trick. It lubes the rubber, which is what is actually needed in this operation. It also has zero risk of contamination.
I used dash washing soap and water....you must ues a new O ring, otherwise it will shift and twist. That was the thought behind the silicone idea. The issue is that you're pressing that O ring in and worrying that you are are going to damage the tank whike doing so. I used a bunch of old bed sheets crumpled up and rested the tank upside down on that. It worked very well as I was able to exert more force to pop the pump in.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used dash washing soap and water....you must ues a new O ring, otherwise it will shift and twist. That was the thought behind the silicone idea. The issue is that you're pressing that O ring in and worrying that you are are going to damage the tank whike doing so. I used a bunch of old bed sheets crumpled up and rested the tank upside down on that. It worked very well as I was able to exert more force to pop the pump in.
I used a mallet the first time around, I wasn't much worried about the paint since it's been a track whore :D Using the Lithium grease, didn't need much force at all, infact, I had the tank laying sideways, since I was too lazy to drain the fuel again, so I was actually pushing sidewards without toppling the tank... yeah I know, I am a lazy bastard :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts