Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

The power wires going to my fuel pump have frayed and a small..very small amount of gas is breathing down through the power cable and I am worried it might trickle on to the hot header with much more catastrophic results.

The local Ducati dealer who I trust and has serviced the bike for the last 2-2.5 years said a Ducati original pump is $1100!!

So, two questions:
1. Is there a cheaper, as good, fuel pump solution?
2. Is this a common problem and are there fixes that folks have already done? I searched the forum but couldn't find a concrete answer

Thanks.
PK.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey,

I replaced my fuel pump as it was beginning to fail but I did not replace the fuel/flange. I'm pretty sure it's part of the whole unit? Maybe you can try using some sort of fuel resistant sealant?

·
Registered
385 Posts
A two second search on the net brought up a lot of hits for a "sport classic" Ducati. First of all, what bike is it? Secondly, take the thing out of the bike and look at it. On a bench. With tools. Does it come apart? Is it a 25 cent gasket? What made it leak in the first place? What failed? Can somebody rebuild it? If not, is there a reasonable replacement direct from the co that made it? Are the manufacturer nomenclature and numbers on the casing? You can't be the first guy on the planet asking this question.

Do some research and before you blindly "goop it up", whatever that means.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely look into the CA Cycle works solution. I will call them tomorrow. I explored using a better sealant but since the wires and sheath are frayed I want replace the assembly anyway.

Lot of the research I did on the fuel pumps pointed to seal issues I came across just one thread on the electrical issue. Even there I didn't see the fuel drip problem. I really want to get to a permanent solution because of the potential catastrophic outcome if the fuel drips on the top exhaust header. I am also going through the Ducati parts fiche to see how they have solved it in other models. But judging by the text on CA Cyckeworks' website it seems like an endemic problem on most air cooled Ducs

·
Registered
838 Posts
.....why is it so???

The information says it does fit the Sportclassic.....

Ciaoooo

Moller
This was what Chris told me

“Thanks for writing! Sadly, no. Your wires are of the smaller, more solid plug than the ones we're dealing with. The plug is held in with a circlip... pop out the clip and then push the plug to the interior side of the flange. To get the wires through the flange, you need to remove the connector. To do that, reach in and pluck out the color retainer piece with a small pick or bent piece of safety wire. Then you use a typical contact removal tool to get the contacts out of the connector housing.

You can then try changing the o-ring on that connector's plug...

Thanks,
Chris”

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
... judging by the text on CA Cyckeworks' website it seems like an endemic problem on most air cooled Ducs
This is the first I've ever heard of it for our bikes and it's not like I'm a newbie here.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
To the OP: Your fuel pump base is a modified unit with metal quick-disconnects, the stock version uses wimpy plastic pieces. So, the wiring/plug unit in your photo looks beat up- possibly from the removal/re-installation involved when installing the modded pump base.

Sport Classic Specialties does these modifications, if it were my bike I'd reach out to JC for a solution. He has his hands on many used parts and can likely walk you through the simplest/cheapest repair. If you want to DIY, then find a used pump on fleabay or Gotham and swap it over. The wiring install/de-install is probably the trickiest part of putting in a modified fuel pump base.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Riderjeff. JC helped install the quick disconnects for me. I will ping him too

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks Riderjeff. JC helped install the quick disconnects for me. I will ping him too

Hello paachi

How did it all end?

My base is leaking too. Not much but enough to make the room smelling of gasoline

....and when I touch the wires at the fuel base it turns wet.....

Ciaoooo

Moller

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So basically my mechanic used some high quality fuel stable glue to seal it and it seems to be ok. No issues any more

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Moller,

Could this be anything to do with your recent breakdown?

Hello Duccout

Nope, that was an other issue. I will write about the breakdown and how to solve it in the original thread.

......in a couple of days since I am away on holiday.

Have a nice summer

Moller

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Have a look on the Multistrada.net site, quite a few people have successfully used sealant to seal the leak. If we can send Man to the moon, a petrol leak seal should be within our capabilities.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So basically my mechanic used some high quality fuel stable glue to seal it and it seems to be ok. No issues any more

Hello paachi

Do you know brand and type of the glue/sealant your mechanic used?

Ciaooo

Moller

1 - 20 of 21 Posts