Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an ongoing attempt at sorting out my popping/banging/backfiring etc (described elsewhere), here is a bit of nonsense! Under instructions (I assume from Italy) my dealer changed the tank (including pump/regulator). I was not optimistic. However…took it for a ride and a HUGE improvement. I was overjoyed. Dealer then put a new pump in my tanks…refitted it…another run…RUBBISH! (Back to where we were). Se he refitted the ‘other’ tank. Guess what…RUBBISH!! So we think air leak in fuel hoses…or what? We don’t know. Any one else got any experience of fuel pumps causing any problems?

·
Registered
137 Posts
In an ongoing attempt at sorting out my popping/banging/backfiring etc (described elsewhere), here is a bit of nonsense! Under instructions (I assume from Italy) my dealer changed the tank (including pump/regulator). I was not optimistic. However…took it for a ride and a HUGE improvement. I was overjoyed. Dealer then put a new pump in my tanks…refitted it…another run…RUBBISH! (Back to where we were). Se he refitted the ‘other’ tank. Guess what…RUBBISH!! So we think air leak in fuel hoses…or what? We don’t know. Any one else got any experience of fuel pumps causing any problems?
You need to check for water in the fuel, same as you do on a cessna....:D

No seriously I cannot believe the tank or the pump could be the cause of popping! Rough running, surging, cutting out yes sure, but popping....popping usually has to do with mixture, timing, spark plugs, but feel free to prove me wrong!

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
You need to check for water in the fuel, same as you do on a cessna....:D

No seriously I cannot believe the tank or the pump could be the cause of popping! Rough running, surging, cutting out yes sure, but popping....popping usually has to do with mixture, timing, spark plugs, but feel free to prove me wrong!
or exhaust leak...

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
or exhaust leak...
That's my guess too.

In general, backfiring on deceleration (as opposed to acceleration) is caused by a lean condition. What happens is that the mixture leans out enough to where is fails to ignite consistently. This, in turn allows some un-burnt fuel to get into the exhaust pipes. Then when the engine does fire, these unburnt gasses are ignited in the exhaust pipe, causing the backfire.

If there’s a poor fit between exhaust pipe segments, this condition is worsened from any additional combustion air entering the leak. Aftermarket pipes often increase the tendency to backfire, because they tend to cause the bike to run lean.

The most common situation is that a newly-installed exhaust pipe or slip-on is not fitting properly. Aftermarket pipes are not a precision fit and often they let in combustion air that, when mixed with unburned fuel, results in the fuel being burned in the muffler. If this is the case, use a high temperature silicon sealant at the joint to the slip-on to keep the air out.

Another possible cause of backfiring on the overrun is an wrong TPS setting. When you shut the throttle, the ECU is getting an incorrect throttle position signal for fuel.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yes….I have a new full Termi system…and both I and my dealer have checked as best we can for leaks. They don’t have a ‘smoke’ tester so it’s back to burning tapers and such things…no leaks.

Water in the fuel will cause all sorts of issues but I don’t think particularly (and only) backfiring.

AFR…yes for sure….so I am waiting for my remapped ECU from CJS in the UK and then go 100% open loop.

Then we will see…but all other thoughts more than welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts