Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the location of the Y-connector in the fuel delivery system on a carburated 900SS of any importance?

At this moment the situation is: both main and return fuel lines start at the tank, run towards the back of the bike, make a curve, go over the vertical cilinder head and 20cm (8") further down they join in the Y-connector from where the main line runs to the carbs. I think this route is stock.

What I was thinking: move the Y-connector under the tank (in the section were both lines run towards the back of the bike) and then follow the same route as stock but then only with the main (feeder) line since the return is located completely under the tank.

Why?
-Less visible lines around the engine.
-Only one line over the vertical cilinder.
-Less fuel line needed.

Doubt: the return line in this scenario will only be like 5cm (2") long. Will gas flow through the (much longer) feeder line to the carbs or will it choose the shorter route so my carbs don't get any (or enough) fuel? I will keep the restrictor in the return line.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I think the Y connector just has to be below the float bowls, mine also has a shorter path from the Y to the float bowls than back to the tank and I think that is typical.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
those pumps push quite a bit of fuel around at 0 pressure, so i think it'll get everywhere it can with ease.

note: i once forgot to plug a fuel pump back in on a carb bike after working on it - i would have had the tank empty and the ignition on at some point, so unplugged it. owner got a lot of the way home before it stopped on the freeway (in pouring rain). he deduced it was out of fuel, although he hadn't seen the light. so he pushed it off and to a servo and put fuel in it, where it ran for a short while then stopped again.

the point being - once the hoses are full, it will siphon fuel out of the tank to the carbs until it is empty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts