Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a definitive on the fuel pump detached pipe issue? After the debacle of my dropped valve (see separate thread) I went out for a ride this morning to check that all was well. Did about 50 miles total, stopped for coffee and filled up with fuel near my house; bike running perfectly. As I turned into my street the bike died, literally twenty yards from my house.

The odds are that something is amiss amongst all the stuff that I had to take off during the fix, but I can't see anything obvious. I've tried swapping the two relays under the seat and the engine turns over freely, but doesn't fire. If I look in the tank with the ignition on I can see bubbles and fuel swirling, so is this the dreaded fuel line issue? Or is fuel swirling normal?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sounds like the fuel line. There should be no bubbles in the fuel but you can hear the pump fire up and pressurize the lines when you turn on the key. Mine came off a couple of years ago, about 9 years after it was supposedly addressed by the dealer. I rode over a rough railroad track crossing and the big bump knocked the line off and the bike died immediately. Try sitting on the bike and swinging it back and forth like you are doing a fast chicane on a track. I was doing this to slosh the tank to prove to a Harley rider, who had stopped and kept asking if I was SURE I had gas, that "yes" I did indeed have gas... Do you hear the now loose fuel filter banging the sides of the tank? That was the giveaway for me. Fixed it beside the road in about a hour. I was going to use the small length of lock wire I always keep in the seat cubby as a temporary fix until a nice dude stopped and said he lived nearby and would go get a hose clamp...which he did. It's still on there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure that it is a fuel line: the swirling only occurs when I first turn on the ignition, then seems to stop. The tank is full to the brim which means that it's no good trying shake it from side to side. I could have done without this!

When I turn on the ignition there is a high-pitched hum coming from the immobilizer - is this normal? If there is a problem with the immobilizer does the engine still spin on the starter?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not sure that it is a fuel line: the swirling only occurs when I first turn on the ignition, then seems to stop. The tank is full to the brim which means that it's no good trying shake it from side to side. I could have done without this!

When I turn on the ignition there is a high-pitched hum coming from the immobilizer - is this normal? If there is a problem with the immobilizer does the engine still spin on the starter?
Definitely sound like a fuel line. It will only bubble and swirl while the pump is running and the pump only primes for a few seconds when first turned on.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've just done a quick check and I have got a spark, so maybe it is not ignition related...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well Duccout....what was the issue? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm still betting on a detached fuel line in the tank.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Fuel line issue

It is a cumbersome job but to remove the tank and inspect the fuel pump takes about 45 minutes
Down side is you should be prepared with parts if it turns out to be the hose.

If the hose is loose or damaged you will need the little hose and clamp kit they sell from Ducati
or you can source the hose and clamps (must be the type that can be submerged in Fuel)

Whle teh tank is off it may be a Good time to change the fuel filter if it has not been changed for a while. Stock or Mahle filter is fine and cheaper then Ducati. Mahle actually makes the Ducati fuel filter

You will need a new Base rubber o-Ring gasket as well
From Ducati is expensive. There are aftermarket alternatives.

I have most of these parts for sale but to ship to the UK from the USA may be high. Arond $40
You may be able to source parts on that side of the pond.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have had the fuel pump out of my hyper 3 times now during the no low
fuel light issue and repair. And the fuel pump out of my SC1000 once to
replace the fuel filter and I have never had an issue with the Base O-ring
on either bike. Now the o-rings for the 2 fuel connections are always an
issue as well as the plastic connections themselves. I had the plastic of
the retention ring snap on one so it would not hold tight anymore.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No news I'm afraid, as I've just returned from holiday and it is way too hot to be out in the garage at the moment. Thank you for the messages of support, I will report back on any progress.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I had the exact same issue with my 06 Sport 1000.
Bumping up a steep driveway / woods road with water bars, bike dies. Noticed the turbulence in the tank. Removed tank and pulled the pump and found the hose had detached. I don’t know if the rough driveway contributed, may have been coincidence.

- Michael

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It WAS the fuel line. Clue was when I tried to remove the fuel pipes from the tank and a, they wouldn't come out, and b, when I did get one out, fuel gushed everywhere! Had to siphon the tank right down, with a lovely aroma of petrol in the boiling hot garage. What a lovely experience.

The fuel line from the bottom of the filter had come adrift. I replaced the filter while I was about it, as I had a spare in stock. I used small screw clamps on the pipes and I just hope that they will hold on there.

Ducati needs to address this issue as it is still affecting fairly recent bikes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Same thing happened to my in 07 with 500 miles on the bike. Stranded somewhere in WI, hours from my trailer. A batch of bikes were released missing a hose clamp in the short fuel line from the pump discharge to the fuel filter inlet. The pressure would pop the line off the pump.

I just replaced a fuel filter about a week ago. Not so difficult. On my GT, removing the side covers is a must. I'll remove the fuel tank bolt and prop something under the tongue to raise the back end about 3-4". That makes getting to the fuel line quick disconnects much easier.

Depending how much gas is in the tank (mine was about 1/2 full), you might be able to stand the fuel tank upright on it's nose to remove the pump w/o spilling too much gas. Some will seep out the fuel cap. Once out, I just dump the gas into an appropriate race can.

The o-rings from Ducati are ungawdly expensive. JCPakBikes has them for 1/2 the cost. The fuel lines are 5/16" ID. I used a couple inches of Tygon grey fuel line between the pump and filter and secured them with stainless steel spring clamps. I decided to reuse the stock flex hose between the filter and mounting plate because it bends into a tight J-shape without any crimping.

BTW... I found the Mahle fuel filter on-line for $15.64 delivered. Got it in 4 days.

/M

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bike just died on me again! Almost two years to the day from the last time (when the fuel line came off in the tank) it has happened again. I suppose that the first stop has to be inspection of the fuel pipe in the tank, but if it has come off again, how do I prevent it? Last time I replaced the pipe and fitted hose clamps, but if they have come off, what next?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Please verify your diagnosis before we start working on a cure.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have verified my diagnosis, the fuel pipe is off again. Last time I used the correct fuel pipe and hose clamps of the best quality, but on inspection the pipe has softened, allowing the pressure to push it off, so what now? I need to fix this issue so what can I do differently? Is there pipe available that is more resistant to softening by ethanol fuel? I don't think the clamps are an issue.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All fixed again, but for how long? I have used (supposedly) the most resistant pipe this time, but I have no faith in the repair now. Does this happen to all Ducatis? If not, why are Sport Classics prone to it? I have remembered that when this happened the first time, I just reused the original pipe but substituted hose clips for Ducati's clamps; is the problem down to Ducati using fuel hose that was not resistant to the effects of fuel?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
If you used name brand submersible fuel line and clamps you should be good for quite a while . If you bought some bargain stuff you probably got what you paid for.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Ducati does not always use the best stuff available. They use the stuff that they got the best price on.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But does this happen to other Ducati models? Possibly there is too much fuel pressure?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
When I fixed mine I used safety wire to secure the hose clamp to the pump body in such a way that the hose could not come off the pump unless the rubber totally disintegrated. It has held up great for many years. The outlet of the pump is smooth, no barbs or anything, so nothing for the hose to grip on other than friction from the clamp. It needs a little extra help/insurance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts